Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

does anyone know

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:44 AM
  • 8 Replies

i need advice i am looking into going back to school for refresher courses.The kind you take  online . I want to relearn so many of the things i have forgotten like simple math,spelling and punction.  I found a site and am really interested but dont want it to turn into a scam .Have you ever took a online course? i work too much and have kids so i dont have time to go to a school but can do it online .here is the link i found Online Course: Writing Basics 101: Spelling, Grammar and ...
www.universalclass.com › Writing Help › Writing Tools

by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Bookoholic
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I have taken classes online but from a community college. My thing is if FASFA doesn't consider them a college I won't go.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
krazylady602
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:51 AM

to be honest theirs alot of catching up i need to do .i need refresher courses in just about everything so i can get myself up to level and get in a collage im starting over kind of late im  36 havent been in school in years n years n i know theirs more out there for me so i can be a better mom help my kids with their homework and just get us to a better spot in life 

Quoting Bookoholic:

I have taken classes online but from a community college. My thing is if FASFA doesn't consider them a college I won't go.

Bookoholic
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:59 AM
I would really start at a college close by, I needed a refresher starting from the beginning. I'm not up to algebra. I could have done 3 of five classes at home. And the tests the colleges give you can better help you know exactly where you need to be, you said you want to end up doing some better in life, I would really start there, you can get aid for college. Also a lot of teachers are willing to work with students as long as they are up front about their situations. One of my English teachers was willing to do most of our work via email if we couldn't make it to class. I totally get you have to work and have kids, see if there is a way you could make it work either early morning class or a late night. If you need childcare you can get the help for that too. Anything is possible, what state do you live in if you don't mind me asking.

Quoting krazylady602:

to be honest theirs alot of catching up i need to do .i need refresher courses in just about everything so i can get myself up to level and get in a collage im starting over kind of late im  36 havent been in school in years n years n i know theirs more out there for me so i can be a better mom help my kids with their homework and just get us to a better spot in life 

Quoting Bookoholic:

SkylarBeth
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 6:39 AM
I agree, enen if you do it online do it through a local community college.

Quoting Bookoholic:

I would really start at a college close by, I needed a refresher starting from the beginning. I'm not up to algebra. I could have done 3 of five classes at home. And the tests the colleges give you can better help you know exactly where you need to be, you said you want to end up doing some better in life, I would really start there, you can get aid for college. Also a lot of teachers are willing to work with students as long as they are up front about their situations. One of my English teachers was willing to do most of our work via email if we couldn't make it to class. I totally get you have to work and have kids, see if there is a way you could make it work either early morning class or a late night. If you need childcare you can get the help for that too. Anything is possible, what state do you live in if you don't mind me asking.

Quoting krazylady602:

Quoting Bookoholic:

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Check community colleges many offer tons of online only classes probably cheaper and you don't need to be close to campus
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steviechick
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Yes, check your local colleges - community and smaller colleges that are in buildings occupying a floor or two.  Phoenix is a good start also Wesleyann.  Perhaps google local colleges and check out each price for on-line classes then go to each college and check out financial aid.  FAFSA is good way to get financial help.  My daughter went through FAFSA as well.

kidlover2
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM
If you're just looking for a "refresher course" on the internet that is free, but doesn't give you anything on paper... is Kahn academy for math. It starts with simple fractions and multiplication and goes all the way up to college level. It's very easy to follow.
GoldenLinds
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:35 AM
If you just need refreshers would chexk your local consignment shops for used college books. You can usually find basic english and math books for next to nothing. Study on yiur own and save money.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)