Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

want to study and get a certificate,how can I get a grant to cover living expenses!

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:59 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hi.I am finiding out that have 3 kids and no educationsucks!!The onlyjobs I can qualify for are entry level,low paying jobs!I want to find out about studying for a certificate program,but I still will need to pay rent and bill.I found out that there are grants to cober living expenses and school.Does anyone know hw this works??

Thanks,

Natalie 

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
dstarr347
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Go to a regionally accredited community college that can offer certificate programs and also have job placement services after completion of the course. If you go to these you can get a pell grant that does not have to be paid back as long as you complete the course and maintain at least a 2.0. You can apply for the federal pell grant here on http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/. Find out what community colleges in your area offer certificate programs and some offer courses you can take online. Make sure the school has regional accredidation because if you want to transfer to a four year to obtain a bachelors degree the credits don't transfer if the school has no regional accredidation. The community college is the cheapest route and you don't have to take out student loans to go. you rockBest wishes in your academic endeavors,

Danielle

LauraMH
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Personally I would suggest working while you are going to school . The most you will get from the PELL grant is $5640 per year (I might be off alittle, it just went up this year from $5550) I needs over $20,000 a year to barely skate by to live off of. Plus that is supposed to help pay for classes and books and stuff.

It is almost impossible to get any type of personal loan and you can only get Federal loans to cover the cost of school (tuition, books etc...) not personal living expenses. I am having this problem right now, that is why I am saying  this. It has all changed over the past few years.

If you do end up going to a community college, they have night classes and online classes so that you can work at the same time. Also, if you go for a quick certificate on something then your employer may offer tuition assistance for you to go back and get an associate or a bachelors depending on your field. Good luck!!!

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
This. It's barely over 5500 a yr for grants. And once you take out books and tuition, there isn't much left.

Quoting LauraMH:

Personally I would suggest working while you are going to school . The most you will get from the PELL grant is $5640 per year (I might be off alittle, it just went up this year from $5550) I needs over $20,000 a year to barely skate by to live off of. Plus that is supposed to help pay for classes and books and stuff.

It is almost impossible to get any type of personal loan and you can only get Federal loans to cover the cost of school (tuition, books etc...) not personal living expenses. I am having this problem right now, that is why I am saying  this. It has all changed over the past few years.

If you do end up going to a community college, they have night classes and online classes so that you can work at the same time. Also, if you go for a quick certificate on something then your employer may offer tuition assistance for you to go back and get an associate or a bachelors depending on your field. Good luck!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:45 AM

oh so that's how it works. - I have many grants shown but not sure how it works - I received a brochure not to long ago to call next monday - whatever that means. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)