Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Relocation Tips

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2007 at 3:50 PM
  • 1 Replies
I moved in with my mother, for the first time since I was 18, when I was 5 months pregnant.   It was either that or move in with the babies father and I knew I didnt want to be with him no more nor would I be able to reply on him to help me without harrassing him all the time.  When I left him he went crazy and started harrassing me me so bad that I changed my number.  Took 4 police reports to get him to finaly back off and leave me alone.  I opted to raise my son alone with no child support.

I had my baby in Dec 2006 and I was planning to move out of my mothers house a few months after but decided to use the opportunity to get bills caught up and paid off.  I am now ready to move but I dont want to move back to where I was (jacksonville, FL).  I want to move to Tampa instead, but this will be my first time moving out as a single parent and I dont really know many people in tampa.  Im considering Atlanta too but the cost of living there is so high and I refuse to move in their low income areas.  Too dangerous.  I had my eye on Charlotte, NC but I cant find any info other than its nice.

A lot of people question my desire to move and here is the reasons why:
1.  I live in a household of 8 people in a 4 bedroom house.
2.  My mothers residence is locatd in a small small town where there is nothing to do and outside of being military the highest paying job is $9 (which is my job) and the work environment stinks.  If it wasnt for my son I would have quit a long time ago. My employer is one of the highest paying around with the best benifits, and the insurance is not great at all (with a $3k deductible for your medical, employer helps with $1500 but still.  $9 an hour, $1500 deductible.
3.  I am curently relying on family to watch my son so I can put savings aside to help prepare to move, but its been a nightmare.  I work late evenings and they over feed him and they let him fall alseep in their beds with them and its been a few times he woke up in poppy diapers.  I have to check him when I get home to make sure he hasnt been sleeping in poop now and come home on lunch breaks for surprise visits and I am tired of fighting with my family over him.  He did have a great home care provider but she had to quit due to health reasons and i couldnt find anyone at the last minute.  Its great not having to pay for daycare but what I'm going through makes me want to move sooner than later.
4.  Education wise the town offers very little choices.
5.  You gotta drive about an hour or more to do something fun.

I am a very ambitious female and it is getting to the point where I am totally unhappy living here and I suffer off and on from depression.  I fight it by taking my son for walks but each day I wake up I feel like i'm rotting away being here and not moving in any direction.  My son is the only one thing that bring me any joy.  I know living on my own will be hard  but I need to leave, for my sake and my sons.  He needs his own room and I will have a lot of undoing to do because everytime he cry ffor anything someone comes running, even when I am with him and I have to tell them to back off, I got him.  My family can be very pushy and I dont play that game.  It was kinda rought for me before I moved in with my mother, but at least I was happy.

I am putting aside a few grand to help prepare for relocation but my main concern is daycare and being able to find a job before I move there.  And how can I get an apartment there if I'm not working there yet.

A little more about me.  I have an AA degree in general studies and my current job is in customer service. so more than likely i will need to find a low income area to start off in.

I was told to look into HUD housing and daycare assistance or subsidized housing.  can anyone tell me more about that?  I will be totally on my until I am able to build a network there.

I think that covered everything I need.  if you can give me any advice or assistance I will greatly appreciate it.  I am hoping to leave by this time next december.
by on Dec. 19, 2007 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
bethmoore71
by on Dec. 19, 2007 at 3:58 PM
What really saved me when I went on my own at first, was shared housing with another single mother. I secured the room rental before I left my ex to move back to my home state, and it afforded me the ability to get established in a local job and get a local rental reference for when I moved out a year later. It was also cheaper to share rent, so I was able to save more $.

That worked for me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)