Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

"Honey, we dont have one of those in our family."

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter is barely 2 and every man we come in contact with she calls "Daddy". I've tried the explaining that "no, this isn't daddy this is Chris, Brian, Tom ect," but she is determined to call all men daddy. I know it is common for small children to over generalize and call all adults mommy and daddy- we went through this- but this seems different and she even more determined that every guy is daddy, from the pharmacist to the guy standing in line behind us at the grocery. I know this is probably way worse for me than it is her at this age and people are generally kind, because kids say all kinds of crazy things but it is getting really embarrassing. She has never had a dad and it's a long story but there isn't going to be one unless I happen to meet a great guy along the way. She is too young to explain what happened and I feel bad saying, "Honey, we don't have one of those in our family." Has anyone else been here? I know she'll out grow it and get old enough to where I can explain why our family only has us, but until then what?

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Replies (11-13):
easinpc
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs!!

steviechick
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM
2 moms liked this

She's too young to fully comprehend the real story of her biological father.  Just instill truth in how she views men.  She has to be told the truth.  Boyfriends in your life ARE bf's.  She must be told they are 'friends' and to call them by their first name.  Until your child is old enough to comprehend the true story of her father just correct her understanding of all the males that are in her life.  When she's old enough tell her the truth about her father.  And, when you have found someone to marry she will be calling him 'Dad'.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM

When she calls a man 'daddy' if you know him correct her and tell her his name. When she gets old enough and starts to ask why she does not have a daddy, than tell her about her daddy.

He must have had some good qualities cause you chose him, not just for a relationship but to be her father.

The outcome is not for her to know, just some relationships do not work but somewhere out there, deep in his heart, her daddy has love for her, but for hard to understand reasons some people are harder to share their love than others.

Quoting Mac4411:

What would you say to her then?

Quoting virginiamama71:

I agree she will outgrow it but I would not tell her we do not have one in the family. When she is old enough and asks, than you can talk with her about her father and his absence. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN