Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

I live in one state and my ex lives in another, I am having trouble understanding my rights as a mother with very low income to hire an attorney

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM
  • 5 Replies

I was married and my husband asked to see our son. I said yes no problem and he took him out of Minnesota to Utah. Then he (without my knowledge) gave power of attorney to his mother and they filed a restraining order on me. My husband then went back to Iraq to finish his tour of duty.  I drove to Utah to try and get him and thats when I discovered I couldnt see him.  I am a waitress and have no money. We are currently divorced and I did not have an attorney he did and I feel like there should be more options for people in this situation. I tried calling them and the phone numbers are disconnected and I am now at a loss for what to do. Legal aid wont step in and help since its across state lines. I just want updates on his schooling and pictures. I am missing out on my sons life and its killing me. Any ideas of what a low-income mom can do?

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
cnkmama
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:51 PM
How did he do that without your consent and what is the restraininv order for?
rocky_mtn_mama
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Who has legal custody?  If you have legal custody you can file charges against him for kidnapping.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I have no idea but here's a bump for you!

da808gypsy
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Wtf how is that even possible? Do you guys have joint custody? I'm pretty sure that had to be illegal taking your son without your consent... Sounds to me like he did indeed kidnap your son, you should try to go to JAG to get legal advice if you can. Do you have any of his work numbers?
Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:33 AM
I don't understand how his parents can get power of attorney or even get an RO on you. What state is the order out of? You need to see if any attorney in that state can help u. Ask for help from UR family.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)