Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Child Support and Jail - Please respond if you have experience with this. PIOG

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:10 PM
  • 3 Replies

Long story short; I have been legally separated a little over a year.

My ex has not paid child support and is now in contempt of court for a 3rd time. The first time he said he would pay XXX and he didn't. The second time he asked for a payment agreement to skip a month, then make regular payments. He paid $750 one time and that was it.

We go to court on Thursday and he has asked for another payment agreement to stay out of jail. He asked for 30 days or he will go to jail.

Last time he was before the judge he was told he would serve 6 months and have work release for 3 of them.

I was recently laid off so I NEED this support money. I have applied at a bunch of places but have not heard back from them yet. I also have an online job that is sporadic and a 2nd online possible job that I am interviewing for this week.

My question is DO I give him the payment arrangement again or just say the hell with it and send him to jail?

If he goes to jail he will lose his job selling insurance. He says they can't use his job for work release because they can't track where he goes. Oh, as of right now he owes over $8,000.

No bashing please, thanks in advance!

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
kitty8199
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd ask the lawyer about that with his job. He may be saying that so you don't lock him up.
My DD dad had work release. He signed out, and signed back in. They didn't track anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Honestly I believe jail makes it worse. Like u said, they lose job or can't get a job due to jail history then no support.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Snowl
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Thanks! I will ask in the morning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN