Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Single...work, school, bills??

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:48 AM
  • 7 Replies

I finally left my unhappy relationship and I'm so lost. I haven't worked in years, my ex supported us. I've been in school this whole time..and I plan on finishing. My child and school are my top priority. I have A.D.D. and anxiety, so it takes a lot of effort for me to keep my grades up..which is the main reason why I didn't work. When I did work, my grades suffered. So I spend hours each night on homework and studying, go to school full time and my child is in soccer and gymnastics...so that's 3 days a week, and I'm also the one who drops off/picks up my son from school.

I need a full time job to be able to afford an apartment of our own. But I'm trying to figure out how I'll be able to find a job  that works around my school schedule, and still allows me plenty of time to get home work done and also be able to take my kid to school and sports. I know there are many mom thats work full time, go to school full time, have more than one kid, and do it all so well. But I've tried both and my ADD and anxiety got the best of me lol. What should I do?!? Put school off for later?

How do you other single moms go to school full time AND work to be able to support youself?

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Shyandteyamommy
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:10 AM
I'm trying to figure this out as well I'm a single mom to two babies an its hard. I don't work I get monthly income and snap benefits but I really want to go get a job an start college so I will feel like im bettering my life for me and my girls.
Shyandteyamommy
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM
But no I would stay in school even if I had to switch to online cause I'm telling you from experience if you put your education on hold it will be on hold for ever cause of work and taking care of your child.
easinpc
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Honestly I just find ways to make it work.  I do homework over my lunch hour at work, I do homework after my son is in bed.  Sometimes that means cutting into my sleep but I find ways to make it work so I can support my son and myself and continue my education.  Good luck!!

LauraMH
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I have to agree with easinpc. I do homework whenever I can. I don't take a full course load at once though. I go part time taking between 6-9 credit hours a semester. I will have my bachelors by the end of 2016. It may seem far off but the time will pass no matter what so why not do something with my time. You can do it too. It is not easy but it's worth it. you just have to find something that works with your schedule. I take a mixture on night, online and early morning classes. It works for me and allows me to work my day job too.

Pink.Sunshine.
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I'm going to be honest, it's rare in this day and age that a job is going to "work around your schedule". That just isn't going to happen. You could look into trying to find overnight jobs, or night jobs, that way you can go to school during the day. Sports maybe have to be put on the back burner until you can get your F/T employment and child care situation in order.

brieri
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:37 PM

coffeemuffin. Welcome to the group. 

Stephd710
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Online school.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN