Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OCD-Intrusive Thoughts

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:17 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hello All.

My daughter is 8 months old this week and I have had intrusive thoughts before she was even born. Before she was even conceived!

The thoughts used to be related to my parents and the stress I incurred with them. Example: cleaning the house a couple hours each week, attending school for my Associates (even though I have my Bachelor's), and dating an abusive and selfish man.

Now, the thoughts revolve around my daughter. I see a LPC and a Psychiatrist twice a month and am on a consistent and helpful medicine. I take this medicine once at night and it not only helps with sleep, but managing stress and OCD like behaviors. (Which are constantly needing to clean and keep things organized-not repetitions just daily obsessions).

My therapist has suggested reseraching OCD-intrusive thoughts on the web and possibly finding a "joke" to myself when I have the thought. I came up with "shes not a baked potato," when I think horrible things such as putting her in the microwave or the oven.

I am a single mother and live about 5 miles from my parents and 15 miles from great family and friends. I have a great support network and can rely on more people than I need!

I just want to know....AM I CRAZY??? DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THESE THOUGHTS? They are soo terrifying and destructive, I feel horrible. I feel better with the medication, but when I ask friends or family if they have experienced these thoughts-all I get is strange looks and "no way!" .....just need to know I'm not the only one suffering with this decreptive disease.

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
brieri
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Yes, because they are afraid.  It's only because they don't know the real person inside.  They don't want to.

ajohnson08099
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Well.. idk... I would never have a thought of putting a child in an oven. Maybe had some destructive thoughts about my ex but that was if I was really mad or something like I wanted to smack him.

You already know tgis is not normal and unsafe.
andyroosmama
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

PPD. I have that and OCD, anxiety disorder and PPD coupled with OCD, the mom will have thoughts of harming their children. You are not crazy, but if the PPD is untreated, it can turn into psychosis and then the thoughts are more than thoughts, they will manifest into actions. Please ask your psych and therapist to look into PPD.

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I agree with this and think you might need to see your doc more than twice a month.

Quoting andyroosmama:

PPD. I have that and OCD, anxiety disorder and PPD coupled with OCD, the mom will have thoughts of harming their children. You are not crazy, but if the PPD is untreated, it can turn into psychosis and then the thoughts are more than thoughts, they will manifest into actions. Please ask your psych and therapist to look into PPD.

camommy08
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM

i think we all have bad thoughts. We get sooo stressed out with all the crying whineying and lack of personnal time we just think if i can just do that. but as long as you dont act on it.

easinpc
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs!

steviechick
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never suffered from this disorder before but I just wanted to give you a huge hug and hoping you are able to heal.

hugging

Baby5678
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 6:01 AM
Research neurotherapy
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)