Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

I was getting ready for work today and realized this was the first Mother's Day I wont get anything. My kids are to young and it's the first one I've been single. It made me cry, especially after my mom sent me a message saying what she wanted to Mother's Day. I just wanted to message her back and go off, well I want a lot of crap too...but that's not happening. Idk I guess I'm just venting bc it's not like I need anything and gifts are just gifts but it's just different now...

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Replies (11-18):
steviechick
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:58 PM

My Mother's Day will be spent with my daughter who has already told me she's getting a professional cake done for me and taking me out for more 'special surprises'.  I'm excited about it because she not only has planned a great day for me but that she truly wants to show me how much she loves me and what I mean to her.  In the past, I got flowers from the ex and a card that simply said 'Love _____'.  He barely wrote anything in the card.  He's just that way - very inconsiderate of other's feelings.  Then I was always given a homemade card from my daughter then taken out for dinner.  My birthday also follows Mother's Day, so I've been able to celebrate just a little extra. 

If my DD was little I would enjoy a homemade card and then take her out for some fun probably to the local park or to get some icecream.  It's not about materialistic things, a cake or flowers.  It's about what your kids can do for you that counts and what you can do with them that counts. 

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I agree!  There is nothing wrong with doing something for yourself to celebrate your day!

Quoting sarah.g:

Hugs.  This will be my third single mothers day and from a little experience it gets a little better each year.  Do something fun for yourself.  It is YOUR day no matter if your kids are too little to help celebrate or not.

newmama008
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Thanks ladies!! I appreciate the help, I think I've decided to plan something for me and the kids and buy myself an origami necklace with their birth stones in it:) going to try and make it the best Mother's Day i can!

sid1083
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM

The best presents I've gotten for Mother's Day are actually cards from my sisters. BD has never been around to give me anything on behalf of the kids, and I'd much rather physically have my kids for hugs & kisses, than an object.

hotrockermama
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM

my ex never got me anything for mother's day, neither did any of my family... i get myself flowers every year. you could politely remind your mom that you are also a mother and suggest that you go out for brunch together with the other moms in your family (sisters, grandma, aunts, etc.). moms day out sorta thing.

it wouldn't work with my mom, because she is under the impression that mother's day is only for her.... but your mom may be more reasonable than mine.

newmama008
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM

hmmm sounds like we might have the same mom lol

Quoting hotrockermama:

my ex never got me anything for mother's day, neither did any of my family... i get myself flowers every year. you could politely remind your mom that you are also a mother and suggest that you go out for brunch together with the other moms in your family (sisters, grandma, aunts, etc.). moms day out sorta thing.

it wouldn't work with my mom, because she is under the impression that mother's day is only for her.... but your mom may be more reasonable than mine.

lovemybabes3
by on May. 6, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

my oldest had my mom buy me flowers for mothers day...dont think she will this time since we arent speaking but my kids like to make me breakfast (cereal) and bring it to me in bed...my oldest is 8 and he is so thoughtful that he comes up w/ this stuff on his own and he's been doing this since me and his dad separated over 2 yrs ago

LifeCafe42
by Nora on May. 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Hugs do something for you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN