Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

single mommy of 1

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM
  • 11 Replies
Hi my name is kelsey I'm a 23 yr old single mother I have a 2 yr old son named avery. I was hoping to get advice from older single mothers who are more experienced with older children
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mother_of_Eve
by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:16 AM

:) im with you.. gonna be 24 and my daughter is 1 years old! im always looking for good pointers and advice! its not easy being a single mom!

sthflachk
by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Welcome!! My dd is 3, I'm 38. What kind of advice?
cholita1978
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM
I'm 34 and dd is 6 now, what do you wanna know?
kidlover2
by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:32 AM
I'm 31 with an almost 10 year old, 6 year old, and 3 year old. All girls. The hormones are beginning to rage :)
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM
I am 38 with 18&17 yr old. Been doing single mom thing for 17 yrs now. I don't pretend to have all the answers but I will share advice on things I do know :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kelsey10
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:41 PM
I'm pretty much open to all advice from dealing with tantrums potty training changes in behavior and the biggest of all would be having a son without a father figure I have my dad around him.a lot but not enough to teach him anything
brieri
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 1:00 PM

drinking  Welcome to the group. Let us know what it is what you would like to know.  Try to answer the question-s as best as can.

steviechick
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Quoting kelsey10:

I'm pretty much open to all advice from dealing with tantrums potty training changes in behavior and the biggest of all would be having a son without a father figure I have my dad around him.a lot but not enough to teach him anything

Hi, Kelsey and welcome to the group.

I'm a 48 year old of a teenager going to college. 

Tantrum - put your child in 'time out' for about 10 minutes.  If they still want to behave put them back in 'time out'.  It's their will against yours.

Potty training - be very patient with boys.  It takes them much longer to learn how to use the potty.  Perhaps read up on how to properly potty train a little boy - Google is your friend!

Child without a father - I'm dealing with that, too.  The best advice I can give is to show your child love, how to respect other's and teach him to make good life choices.  Even though daddy isn't around that doesn't mean you can't be a parent.  You know right from wrong so teach that to your child.  It's what he learns from his parents that carries throughout his childhood.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on May. 2, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Welcome!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rylansmom2011
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Im 25, my ds just turned 2 and I've been doing the single mom dance since I was about 5 months pregnant. The best way I deal with tantrums is to walk away from him and ignore him. If they get too out of control he gets put on the couch, tv off  no toys, and he is told he is not to get off the couch. Another version of time out I guess. If he gets off he gets put back on. Usually if they get to that point is normally overly tired and we may end up in bed for a nap. Potty training, haven't figure that out yet. And in my opinion no one REALLY needs a father figure. My son has never met his father. But my dad is here when hes not on the road, so at least one weekend a month he is here. My uncle comes to visit and so does my sisters boyfriend (hes been around since ds was born). But I think we can teach our boys just as much as a man could. I play in the dirt with my son, we rough house and build things. We play cars and trains. My ds is such a boy you would never know that there isnt a constant man around the house!

Quoting kelsey10:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)