Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Out of State custoday

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM
  • 14 Replies

So can you tell me how the out of state custody thing works?  My DH is working out of state and is only home a few days a month so we are putting in for the out of state custody so during the summer he will be able to see the kids at least more than he does through the year.  But how does this work?

by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brieri
by on May. 1, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Umm, I guess you would write your legal paper or talk to your attorney, stating that you would like Dad to have the children so much time during the summer and you would state the days and times (hopefully concurrent for a duration of time, so they not having to go back and forth between the two homes.)  Another would be to write it all down and go to mediation with dad and you two will discuss the same with the mediator and hopefully you both come to an agreement.  If you do that, you will both go to court, and the Judge will ask you if both agree yay or nay.  And you answer or the attorney(s) will answer.  

camommy08
by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:39 PM

im not sure but heres a bump...i all i had to deal with is child support and he was out of state.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Not sure what you are asking but I'll try to give some input. But first if you are married and a new member, why are you in a single mothers board?

shannon2012
by New Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Because I thought you guys would be a easier crowd then the stepmom board I belonged too but they are so harash I could not stand it over there so I left.  If you prefer I leave I will.  I am married and its my DH kids we are talkign about.  I just felt like this group might be able to answer my question for me.  I apologize for asking.

petite101
by Danielle on May. 2, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't be sorry for asking.

For my out of state custody, my ex gets our daughter 42 days of summer, odd years for Thanksgiving, even years for Christmas, and every spring break, that's standard for Texas.

Quoting shannon2012:

Because I thought you guys would be a easier crowd then the stepmom board I belonged too but they are so harash I could not stand it over there so I left.  If you prefer I leave I will.  I am married and its my DH kids we are talkign about.  I just felt like this group might be able to answer my question for me.  I apologize for asking.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on May. 2, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Welcome! I'm not positive because every state is different I recommend talking to an attorney and researching the laws in the 2 states you are going to be dealing with. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
petite101
by Danielle on May. 2, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Oh and let me add that we split the cost of airfare and she had to fly with an adult till a certain age.

Quoting petite101:

Don't be sorry for asking.

For my out of state custody, my ex gets our daughter 42 days of summer, odd years for Thanksgiving, even years for Christmas, and every spring break, that's standard for Texas.

Quoting shannon2012:

krisnkids
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:25 AM

How much does your husband travel and how much is he home? 14 days travel 2 days home?

easinpc
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I don't know how it works but here's a bump for you!

shannon2012
by New Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:56 AM

It depends on the month.  Sometimes he is home in Utah for about 3 days then the next month it is 6.  the most he is home in one month is 6 days though.   I think we might need to look into both the state that he is in and has residency and then Utah laws it sounds like.  I think we will seek legal councel on this as well.

I appreicate all your insite into this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)