Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Domestic Violence

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM
  • 6 Replies

Has anyone ever had to take domestic violence counseling? How did it help/ work for u?

by on May. 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LauraMH
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 8:23 AM
I didn't have to take it, but I did go. It made a world of difference. I have no idea where I would be right now if it wasn't for that therapy I received. Possibly back with my exh.

If you have experienced domestic violence then I would encourage you to go. Call your local DV shelter and see if they offer therapy there on an "outpatient" basis, meaning you don't have to live there to recieve services. Good luck hun.
ajohnson08099
by on May. 4, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Can you tell me exactly constitutes as DV? I'm trying to figure out if counceling after ex is a good idea. What did the do for you really?

Quoting LauraMH:

I didn't have to take it, but I did go. It made a world of difference. I have no idea where I would be right now if it wasn't for that therapy I received. Possibly back with my exh.

If you have experienced domestic violence then I would encourage you to go. Call your local DV shelter and see if they offer therapy there on an "outpatient" basis, meaning you don't have to live there to recieve services. Good luck hun.
LifeCafe42
by Nora on May. 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM
My friend did she was happy she did thought her it wasn't her fault
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starry_mom
by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:59 AM
I went through therapy, EMDR treatments, and self defense/mma training; best decision of my life! I'm now even more empowered than I was originally!
mommyonboard08
by on May. 5, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I have to take it as a condition of dcs, they had to open a case agaisnt my ex. So I will be taking it I think it will be good for me too, I am mostly holding everything in at this point.

Robsessed98
by on May. 5, 2013 at 4:43 PM
I never had to, but should have. It would've shaved off a lot of time spent self healing and becoming a survivor instead of a victim.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)