Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Disability/child support question

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 4:55 PM
  • 7 Replies
Besides applying for public assistance, is there a way to find out if x is receiving disability?

I know that he was applying, and was initially rejected, but was supposed to be fighting the denial. I currently do not have a cs order, because he was unemployed while we were getting divorced, but we filed w the court to leave the door open for me to seek support at a later date. Also if he is getting disability, does their have to be a support order, or does a payment automatically go to a minor dependent? Any info or advice greatly appreciated.
by on May. 4, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I have no idea, but good luck!

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 2:10 PM
You should get a co regardless. Disability would send him the money unless you have a child support order
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamavelt
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Actually per the ssa.gov website it is a separate application process for dependent children of disabled parent. But he won't even tell me where he lives, let alone if he is on disability because he thinks I am trying to go after him for cs. Ironically if he is receiving disability the kids would be entitled to 1/2 of whatever his disability payment is per child, and it would not effect what he receives at all. But I feel foolish and like i might be wasting my time applying for something when I don't even know if he is getting it.
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 2:49 PM
I know my sister had to have a custody and child support order in order to apply for her children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on May. 5, 2013 at 4:37 PM
I was on disability years ago and dd's share came directly to me. I had physical custody, but didn't have to prove that in order to get her check. You need a court order regardless of his income source.
singlemom7421
by on May. 6, 2013 at 7:09 AM
No cs im on ssd the courts says that it isnt earne
d income my ex is trying to get on it so he doesnt have to pay cs for my ds
steviechick
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM

My ex is now married to his tramp.  She had a child from a previous relationship and the child has mental disabilities. She gets money from the state (ss benefits).  From what I understand this isn't considered 'earned' income either.  Alhough it should be less because of the supposed dual-income from my ex and his new wife.  I'm sure that's not the case knowing my ex and how he schemes the system when it comes to receiving money.  He's more than likely made sure she's still considered 'single' so she can receive as much funds as possible. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)