Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it cheating?

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM
  • 20 Replies

So the x and I broke up last July and currenly seperated going through a divorce. There is a guy in my life that the x and the kids don't know about him, however I feel like I am cheating on the X because we are not officially divorced. Should I get over it and enjoy the moment?

by on May. 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MIMIBRIE
by Jayme on May. 6, 2013 at 9:16 AM
As long as the divorce is in process no, I don't consider it cheating.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steviechick
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Cheating is when you are sneaking around behind your spouse's back (which my ex did).  Since you are separated and a divorce is in the works I don't call this cheating at all. 

Two_Hearts
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:41 AM
2 moms liked this

It is NOT cheating ...you two are seperated, meaning the romantic part of your marriage is over..heck, you aren't even living under the same roof.

The divorce is in process...i wouldn't feel bad about it.

Once the 'married' couple seperate and start living in seperate homes, the marriage certificate is just a peice of paper...you don't owe him any obligations.

Robsessed98
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:54 AM
As long as there is no chance of reconciliation and he has been told, I don't think its cheating. I'm in the exact same situation and am totally against cheating, but it doesn't cross my mind at all bc there's no way I'm going back and he knows it even though he still tries.
Kimberly_Adam
by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

not cheating...just moving on.

MommyT642
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Well i don't think it is. you and ex are going threw the process of divorce, so you aren't emotionally tied to him anymore. But you might watch out legally, if ex wanted to be an ass he could try to call adultry on you and really screw you in the divorce.

newmama008
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I am in the same boat not quite divorced, its been a long and super expensive(ugh) process but I have definfitly moved on. I don't feel that it's cheating at all. I know I will be divorced soon, there is no way in heck I will EVER go back to him so I'm just living my life how I want to:)

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Agree.  I'm in a no fault state myself so this wouldn't be an issue, but if your state is not no-fault, it could cause problems with the divorce proceedings.

Quoting MommyT642:

Well i don't think it is. you and ex are going threw the process of divorce, so you aren't emotionally tied to him anymore. But you might watch out legally, if ex wanted to be an ass he could try to call adultry on you and really screw you in the divorce.

lovemybabes3
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

i dont think it is...but i got crap for doing this when i was separated from my ex...my family is so mad at me for it but it wasnt like i was looking for anything serious at the time, just something to take the stress off lol...didnt know i would end up spending all my time w/ him and we have been together almost 2 yrs

ghostcat90
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I've dated guys who were separated/going through divorce.  My friends have given me shit for it (ironically, their moral compass is all kinds of broken).  I mean, realistically divorces are long nasty things, so I wouldn't worry about it.  Just don't go have a fling, get back with the ex, rinse, wash, repeat.  That's just not cool.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)