Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

step parents disciplining stepkids, your opinion

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm a step mom of a 4 yr old girl. I've been her step mom since she was 10 months old. I treat her like my own daughter so I kind of view it as, if im treating the step kid as i would my own kid, then i will discipline them like i would my own kid. Of corse i have HD's concent to discipline her as i wish. We have the same disciplining views so he knows i wouldn't go overboard or anything.

But what do you think? What do you think about when SM disciplines your kids? What do you think about, SM's about disciplining your s-kids?

by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Replies (11-14):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on May. 6, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Discipline is important and should be agreed on by all parties
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
honey27
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:26 PM

if her mom and dad is ok with it and your not physically disciplining then thats fine. 

witchybabymomma
by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:14 AM

honestly I could see myself having an issue with it just because I am very protective of my son, but I think things should be discussed beforehand so everyone knows what type of dicipline is acceptable and what is not so maybe they will all be more comfortable.

witchybabymomma
by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:18 AM

she is 4 and was spanked for rolling her eyes???

Quoting MommyT642:

i came into sd's life when she was 10 months. HD says i should discipline her as if she were my own. If i were to come to him telling him what she did, he would respond for me to spank her or whatever i felt like should be the punishment. If he is directly there, yes he will handle it. But if He is outside or somewhere else and i'm watching her, he expects me to be the acting parent. I have gone to BM asking her what behavior she finds unacceptable and what kind of discipline she uses. And I do try to use the same. If it is something small, she will get a stern talking to and a time out (ds is 4 now). If it is something big, its would be spanking. I've never had to spank her until this weekend. Usually a warning will safice. I do not tolerate disrespect. She started having an attitude with me, I told her she better loose that attitude. About 2 hrs later I told her not to do something, and she rolled her eyes at me. I immediately gave her two swats on the behind. And told her that was rude and that behavior will not be tolerated. I don't really feel that i was out of line considering that i have HD's concent and discipline was also discussed with BM.

Quoting Lurion:

IMO If you come in the picture when the kids are under 5 or so, you have the right to discipline. 

Ideally, you could also get on the same page with the mom, avoid a lot of issues.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN