Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fear of the Dark-how to get over it?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM
  • 5 Replies

Hello All!

Let me just say- I've always feared the dark. It's on my top three of worse fears, being alone in the dark. But now I have a daughter and things are a bit different.

I already overthink and make up things in my head when its dark, but thanks to my super awesome decision to watch "Mama," the fear has only tripled!

I have attempted to stay on my own at my place and it was a little hard the first night, but I got through it. Last night, I tried again and both my daughter and I were starting to wind down and then our lights kept flickering. I immediately left my house and stayed with my family. Little did I know the flickering was due to the fact it had been pouring rain and strong winds all night!

Anyway, I still feel like there's a "evil spirit" in my house and I know I'm being silly, but I never dismiss a negative assumption-for fear it may come true! Again, this sounds outrageous, but we've all been there right? Just at home alone, making up crazy thoughts in your head and trying to turn them off. What do you all suggest? "Womaning" it up?? Stay somewhere safe until I feel better alone? Quit being silly? I don't know. I don't have an awesome bf or husband to support me right now through these strange and eerie moments! I miss a guy for these reasons ....but yeah....suggestions!!!

by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Robsessed98
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Exposure therapy. You know its an irrational fear, even though its common. I swear to you, the dark cannot hurt you and it has no power other than what you give it. Never let your kids know how afraid you are or they will adopt it as well. Wean yourself off the light over a couple of weeks. Start off leaving a little light on and slowly make the light less and less until its dark. Or put a light on a timer and let it go out after you're asleep. When you wake up and realize you were in the dark and lived to wake again, you will start to fear it less.
KrEnChIk21
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Quoting Robsessed98:

Exposure therapy. You know its an irrational fear, even though its common. I swear to you, the dark cannot hurt you and it has no power other than what you give it. Never let your kids know how afraid you are or they will adopt it as well. Wean yourself off the light over a couple of weeks. Start off leaving a little light on and slowly make the light less and less until its dark. Or put a light on a timer and let it go out after you're asleep. When you wake up and realize you were in the dark and lived to wake again, you will start to fear it less.

What a great suggestion! Thank-you soo much!!

easinpc
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I agree with this.  Good luck!! 

Quoting Robsessed98:

SnowWhieQueen
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

just remember u r bigger then the fear...dont let it have power over you....i liked mama....not the ending tho...and sprits cant hurt u...if there would be one..

labrax
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you should work on your thoughts too. It appears you are guilty of imagining negative things happening in the dark.

I am guilty of thinking negatively too, for example, I find my thoughts drifting often to bad things happening to me or to monsters springing out of shadows ( flights of ancy, huh? Lol), so,I try to consciously replace them with good things happening to me instead.

It's not easy but you have to try for your child. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)