Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

My Mother's Day

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM
  • 18 Replies
2 moms liked this

I've been a single mom since my son was born, and Mother's day is always a bittersweet day for me.  

I like to think that in another life my husband would be bringing me breakfast in bed and telling me to go back to sleep that he'll take care of DS this morning so I can relax.  And when I get up we would all go to the park and while DS plays DH would give me the card/ gift that he helped our son make for me.  Maybe he would have arranged a special dinner or a night out for the 2 of us, and I would think how lucky I am to have 2 such wonderful men in my life.  

But that fantasy has never happened.  And since DS is just 2yo there won't be any homemade cards, or flowers waiting for me.  And Mother's Day will be just like any other day of the year here at our house.  But even though it makes me sad to think of all those little things that I won't ever receive...I still feel like the luckiest woman in the world every day that I was blessed with my son.  I won't have the "ideal" Mother's Day but it's close enough to perfect for me  :)

I think we all feel this way sometimes, but I hope everyone who needs it has their own "perfect" Mother's Day this year!

by on May. 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2zbg
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm in the same boat as you... I have never actually received much for Mother's Day either. Last year I got my son's handprints but normally it's just another day! And honestly I like it that way...

easinpc
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM
3 moms liked this

I have been single on mothers day for the past 7 years or so.  I always make it a fun day for me and my son.  If its nice out we go on a picnic and go fishing or something else outdoors just the two of us.  To me mothers day isn't about having gifts/flowers/etc (not that theres anything wrong with them) but its more about celebrating being a mother with my child.  So thats why I try and do something with just the two of us.  Happy early Mothers Day!!

vlr4x4
by on May. 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, I always used to look forward to getting those things on Mothers Day but now I learned it is entirely what you make of it.  We will probably do something fun together, being a mom is so much more than having it be acknowledged by someone.  It's all about that special bond with your kids that you know nobody else will ever have with them  :)

steviechick
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:52 PM

It's not just about us we also have moms.  I sent my mom a mushy card and I'm going to call her just to hear her voice and her mine. 

mz23
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

really its my excse to get me and my mom an ice cream  cake lol. but holidays dont mean nothing to me eexcept food and special treats.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on May. 7, 2013 at 5:03 PM
2 moms liked this

happy mothers day2  wearing crown  spa robe

Tsmommy106
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:19 PM
2 moms liked this
Get yourself something nice then. Do something special with your son. You don't need a man to do it for you. Yes it would be nice every now & then but everyday is what you make it.
tyfry7496
by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Make your own Mothers Day traditions with your son.

My mom always made sure to have my son pick something out for me. Then when he went to day care/ school he made Mothers Day gifts.
MommyAJ2921
by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I always say the last year and a half of my marriage I was a single parent...if you go by paper I've been a single parent for a year as of yesterday. My sons are 3 and 2 so I'm not anticipating cards or the like. What I expect is what I get every day...lots of love, eyes lighting up and bright smiles simply because I entered the room and my all time favorite.."I love you Mommy" from my 2 year old. For me? Its the simple things...gonna take them to church and just have a simple day afterward...me and them. *beaming..* Being a mom is the hardest job I've EVER had but I wouldn't change a thing.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on May. 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I have to work mothers day but my mom and i are going to ds's school for brunch then we are going to do mothers day together

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)