Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

so, last night right before my daughter went to bed, a friend of mine came over to watch a movie.  My daughter got upset because she had to go to bed and couldn't "hang out" with us.  She was tired as it was so started crying and asking to stay up.  I left her in the room figuring she'd just fall asleep.  I went back in for something and she was still crying really bad so I told her she needed to calm down.  she then tells me, "I wanna see my dad, I haven't seen him in a long time and i just want to see him." so I sat there with her for a few minutes and held her until she calmed down.  I said she could see him soon because I didn't know what else to say. 

Her dad is an on again off again drug addict who is currently pretty far gone on them.  Whether sober or using he is not a very involved father because he is very selfish and thinks only of himself.  I know he'd see her if she called but I don't want her going with him in his condition.  He no longer has my phone # because I'd rather not be put in any uncomfortable situations of him trying to get her.  I feel she is too young (6) to be told the truth about her dad and why it's better she doesn't see him right now but I don't know how to respond when she is hurt like this. 

Any suggestions or advice would be great!!! thanks!!

by on May. 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Replies (21-21):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on May. 13, 2013 at 1:32 PM
This is what I do

Quoting lydi:

My dd was about 6 the last time her father walked out on her (it has been now 2 years) , but I told her that he is not able to be a father right now.  I also got her spending more time with good male role models like my brothers.  I also had her draw what she is feeling to work through it and for her to know it is ok to be sad.  and over time she has come to peace about her not having a father in her life. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN