Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

What's your parenting style?

Posted by on May. 12, 2013 at 5:16 PM
  • 8 Replies
Just curious about what everyones parenting style is in general?
Strict or laid-back or somewhere in between?
Mainly because...My kids are walking all over their boundaries today...and i'm goin crazy lol
by on May. 12, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
abusednotbroken
by on May. 12, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Well, I try to be strict with certain rules, but lenient where possible. For instance, a mom once told me, "With all that you have to say 'no' to, say 'yes' where possible." So like, it's a "no" to lying and I'm strict on that, but getting messy or doing something extra special--ok. Have fun, but be a person of character.

pce68
by on May. 12, 2013 at 5:44 PM

In some ways I am strict, and in other ways I am very laid back. I expect my dd to behave in public, even when she was a baby or toddler, acting up in public was a big no-no and she knew it. She's a teen now and I am a little strict about what she wears and who she is with, but not necessarily in a mean, controlling way. But I am very laidback about what she eats, what she watches on tv, what time she goes to sleep, that sort of thing.

tyfry7496
by Janet on May. 12, 2013 at 7:25 PM
I'm firm and strict when I need to be but I'm pretty laid back. I am a non spanker. I prefer natural consequences where possible, talking with my teen about what could have been done instead. Grounding, taking away electronics, extra chores or writing dictionary pages.
steviechick
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I'm in between.  Depending on what the circumstances are when my DD acted up.  She was always such a good kid.  Well behaved and even tempered.  I raised my daughter to be respectful of everyone and think about being mean or nasty.  If she wanted them to treat her that way.  To say 'Yes M'am' and 'Yes Sir' to eldery.  To ask to be excused from the table.  To never say 'No' to me when I ask her to help me or pick-up her room.  That when I said 'No' to her that's what I meant.  To never sass me if she didn't get her way.  My DD is a almost 19.  I still worry about how she carries herself and well she handles herself when I'm not around.  I tried to be a good influence on her when it came to money and being honest when it came to telling the truth.  I'm laidback when it came to her bedtime and what time she had to be home on a school night and on the weekends.  I really didn't have to worry about her when she was an adolescent because she learned from an early age to behave. 

LifeCafe42
by Nora on May. 13, 2013 at 1:40 PM
I'm pretty firm but I like him to think he's helping make decisions and I do like to have fun
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rocky_mtn_mama
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I'd like to think I'm somewhere in the middle.  My kids will tell you that I'm strict (my oldest would have said the same thing when he was at home but now that he's an adult he'd be the first to tell you I'm probably not strict enough, lol).

soulofsunmama
by on May. 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Compassionate
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookoholic
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 2:07 PM
I'm laid back where needed, if he is with a friend and they are having a disagreement about sharing I'll see if they can work it out about half the time they do, but about half the time I step in and say "blah blah". If Ds wants to wear pjs all day so be it, I'm not dressed in it, he's comfy and happy who cares what he is wearing. If he wants his room messy for the most part that HIS room his problem. Now as for rules in my house and behavior outside the home yes I am strict when I need to be, in a grocery store if he is just being a little boy running around the cart and no one is nearby for the most part its fine, once someone wants by he has to stop and wait. He also can't mess with everything on the shelves. He usually gets me the food item from the shelf.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)