Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SINGLE MOM OF 7 MOVING TO NEW YORK FROM OHIO NEED ADVICE

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 8:31 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hello, I am a single mother of 7 children and live in Ohio.  I took on some of my sister's children and now i have 7 children.  I just recently been accepted at brooklyn law school and plan to move to New york this summer after the children finishes school.  I have only been NY to visit a couple times and dont have family there.  I need serious advise on do's and dont's and things to avoid.  So that this move is sucessful.  I already know to avoid bushwick as a place to live.  Any advice?  Also i considered Jersey as well

by on May. 16, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Why do you want to move far away from family with 7 kids, by yourself and starting law school?
mrsary
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this
You are raising 7 children alone and some of them are not yours... idk anything about NY but if you can do that then you can do anything. Good luck in law school!
amyo3h
by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Do you know what your budget is for housing and how many bedrooms you'll need? I'm in real estate in NY so I may be able to help point you in the right direction.
Supermotha
by on May. 17, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Congratulations! Good for you!
There are lots of good places in Brooklyn to live now - definitely have a realtor help you or at least to get started and get some basics down first because there are still a lot of bad places too.

Also, the commute from NJ to Brooklyn can be tough (time consuming) UNLESS you move right near a transit train... (Jersey City, Hoboken/Weehawken, Montclair, So Orange - all super easy commute towns and decent living/schools - some more urban - some more suburban) And, then, I'd say, yes! you can live in NJ & commute in for school. NJ school system is great - I will say navigating Bklyn, subway, etc can be tough for kids... But, then again, "city" living is a choice and can be amazing too (I've lived both & chose to leave city to NJ to raise children...)
Church? I'd say finding a church if you have a religious faith might be good. Lots of support, activities (singles groups too) to just start getting you and your family active, make friends, create a support system, etc.

Do a rent / buy comp yourself once you learn about some Bklyn v NJ options. Space for your family in a decent spot will/may be pricey... Whereas you will most likely - I can say 98% confident you'll get much more space and neighborhood in NJ (another weird thing I learned about NJ is there are a lot of homes for rent which can be nice & if the "landlord" is good - you / damiky have a house and space w/ the security of a landlord to fix repairs, etc)

So, the money v location v time commuting v safety/schools should all be critical deciding factors.
My mom didnt have 7 kids - but, my well-off father after divorce left her with just about nothing & she too went back to school (CPA) and rose to the occasion! It wasn't easy - I understand that now but, as the child myself - I look back and I learned so much from her tenacity and strength to make a better life for herself (your self worth and love is key!!) and my siblings.
We are strong, powerful creatures - us women and it sounds like you have been cut from one of the strong cloths! Go show those children how we do it and best wishes!
tiffany12009
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Well i really dont get any support from them anyways.  God Bless

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Welcome and good luck congrats on the acceptance!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Congrats! Good luck in law school!
Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:41 PM
good luck in law school. I have no clue about new york.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)