Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

how did u afford care for your child was it a daycare, babysitter or family help?

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 3:51 AM
  • 13 Replies

I never realized how expensive daycare is.......I moved out on my own for a short amount of time and I paid a babysitter while going to school and work but it was a lot to handle financially along with other bills, so I moved back in with my mom and had to quit my job when I moved .......For the most part my mom and baby's father help with babysitting now on my school days, but I feel guilty sometimes and know my mom needs a break and I want to just put him in a daycare ...... I signed up for family Central but the waiting list takes months.... For any single mothers out there how did u balance it out financially with finding care for your child.????  What have u found to be the best solution????

by on May. 17, 2013 at 3:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsary
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 4:22 AM
The state pays part of my daycare. Without it I wouldn't be able to afford anything.
charmgirl
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 6:08 AM
I'm extremely broke. Daycare is 700 a month for one child. :(
IloveNCIS
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I am lucky enough to work from home so I don't need to pay for daycare.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 17, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Child support helps towards after school program and summer camp.

Robsessed98
by on May. 17, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Idk how people afford daycare anymore. It's insane! My girls are grown now, but when they were young I was fortunate enough to find a retired couple that kept mine and 3 others for $40/wk each. They became surrogate grandparents over the years. I also had my parents for backup and overtime. I'm babysitting my 4 & 6 y/o g'sons now bc my dd lost her good job and was forced to take a min wage job. She qualifies for state aid, but can't afford the co-pay.
libramoon007
by on May. 17, 2013 at 6:19 PM

At first my parents helped and I got state aid for a long time. Now I got a good job and just pay it. It sucks and it's alot of money but i don't qualifiy for state aid any more. But the good thing is she gets breakfast,lunch and snack at school. I have another year before regular school. I wish I could live closer to family but it is what it is right now. Try state aid. Make sure you trll them you are in school. 

virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 17, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Getting a job at a daycare or as a nanny.

Also if you know of any single Moms who may be in the same situation you can help each other with free babysitting.

maddiemommy2009
by on May. 17, 2013 at 8:10 PM
My daycare is 500 a month which I find is reasonable compare to other daycare but I moved to a whole different country to get my parents help I do want to go out on my own and even though I help my parents with rent and pay my child's daycare fee I still can't afford to go out on my own with other bills to pay... being a single mom is very difficult financially for ....
LuvMommysBabies
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this
State pays for majority of my childcare so now its $116 monthly without that help it would be $800 for the 2 children
Kid_Cat_Mom2005
by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this
When I was working, I got state aid. Now I have a scholarship that covers the cost while I attend college. I am very fortunate this type of scholarship is available, its through the United Way.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN