Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

jail and child support question

Posted by   + Show Post

I filed for child support back in December and haven't heard anything back so I have been on the phone almost everyday trying to get in touch with the worker involved with my case to find out what's going on. I've yet hear back from this man. My question is how does it work when filing for child support and the man is already in jail for non support of another child? I knew he was locked up in county but today I found out he was sent to Department of Corrections and found out exactly what he's in jail for.

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Replies (11-17):
MsGrayciesMommy
by on May. 17, 2013 at 3:25 PM
It gets suspended until he's out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flawskii
by on May. 17, 2013 at 6:43 PM

The waiting part sucks but I know there's nothing I can do about it. I'm trying to get an order in place now but it seems like my caseworker doesn't want to return my phone calls and it pisses me off. I told someone else that my sister gave me the number to the prosecutors office and she told me to call them, but I'm not exactly sure since I haven't heard from my caseworker about the case to know the next step that calling the prosecutors office will help. She sent in her info and got a call from her caseworker so her case has gotten father than mines.

Quoting Robsessed98:

You should go ahead and get the order in place so it will be ready when he gets out and gets a job. Sucks but all you can do is wait and let it accrue.

CafeMom Tickers
flawskii
by on May. 17, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Okay thanks! I guess I just gotta keep calling until I get in touch with someone so I can figure out where the case stands and what's going on. 

Quoting jenmomx3:

No.  They will bring him to court for any court dates or dna testing. You can definitely get the ball rolling.  They will bring him over in cuffs from the jail.

Quoting flawskii:

I'm sure I wouldn't be able to collect if he's in jail but I guess my question is, if I'm filing a child support order I have to wait till he gets out in order for anything to begin to happen like dna test and all that? 

Quoting jenmomx3:

In Maryland they changed the laws here pretty recently, and an Ncp that is in jail is not charged for child support.  If you were here, you would have to wait until he got out of jail to expect any kind of payment.  Or if he had already been paying, it stops adding on when they got to jail.

CafeMom Tickers
flawskii
by on May. 17, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I have no choice but to continue to be the main support for my child. I will continue the case for child support because you never know he might get another job that's not paying under the table and if he doesn't get caught up on child support or doesn't pay then that's gonna be his issue to continue to deal with through life. I didn't make her own my own so if there's a possibility that he can TRY to support her even if the courts are enforcing it then my daughter will get what's coming to her. I haven't relied on him now and I won't begin to but it also doesn't hurt to try.

Quoting virginiamama71:

In a situation like that I would not even bother. He is already not paying for one child, now is expected to pay for another. Once he gets out, he will not work, and if he does it will be under the table and he will constantly be going back to jail for not paying on his child support orders. You will end up never getting any support, and its better if you just continue to be the main support for your child.

CafeMom Tickers
virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 17, 2013 at 7:31 PM
I agree he is responsible for her too but if you have been able to do so by yourself from the beginning, why are you asking for help now, especially knowing its going to cause more chances of you to continue to not get the help. I can understand a man who is responsible and coming to an agreement on child support, medical coverage for the child, but when men are not doing anything and have showed they are not going to do anything why continue to deal with these men. These men do not even fear time in jail. If working they do not fear losing a job to having to spend months/years in jail. They do not fear losing their independence. They are not worth the time a woman puts into going thru the process to get some support. They bring more problems to a situation that children pick up on and eventually carry on into their own lives later on.
Quoting flawskii:

I have no choice but to continue to be the main support for my child. I will continue the case for child support because you never know he might get another job that's not paying under the table and if he doesn't get caught up on child support or doesn't pay then that's gonna be his issue to continue to deal with through life. I didn't make her own my own so if there's a possibility that he can TRY to support her even if the courts are enforcing it then my daughter will get what's coming to her. I haven't relied on him now and I won't begin to but it also doesn't hurt to try.

Quoting virginiamama71:

In a situation like that I would not even bother. He is already not paying for one child, now is expected to pay for another. Once he gets out, he will not work, and if he does it will be under the table and he will constantly be going back to jail for not paying on his child support orders. You will end up never getting any support, and its better if you just continue to be the main support for your child.

Searching4Bliss
by on May. 18, 2013 at 12:52 AM

I have some personal experience with a similar situation. I had an open child support case and after my daughters dad went to jail, they found out somehow and they lowered his support amount to 0 on account of he was in jail and not making any money. The thing I find strange though is, if you are not in jail, you have to pay as if you are making min wage even if you aren't working... he's been in jail for a year and 6 months now. I live in California.

singlemama0905
by on May. 18, 2013 at 12:58 AM
the cs system is f'd up so I.wouldn't even begin to make sense. these.ncp can get away time amd time agaim for not.supporting, yet we stop supporting, we'd be dealin with cps. It took me calling child support enforcement EVERY DAY and leaving messages.for the.DA office EVERY DAY to get anything going with my cs case with my ex.

Quoting Searching4Bliss:

I have some personal experience with a similar situation. I had an open child support case and after my daughters dad went to jail, they found out somehow and they lowered his support amount to 0 on account of he was in jail and not making any money. The thing I find strange though is, if you are not in jail, you have to pay as if you are making min wage even if you aren't working... he's been in jail for a year and 6 months now. I live in California.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)