Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Tech crazy 10 year old

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM
  • 1 Replies

My mom brought a phone for my 2 daughters to share last Christmas. Even though I felt that they were too young to have a phone she said that it gives them a way to keep in contact in case of emergencies. The phone started causing a ton of problems for my 10 year old. She would constantly want to text and could care less about anything else. One day I looked through the messages and found that she had been talking to people that she didn't even know! Even though the conversation was with little girls I asked her who were these girls and she told me that she has never met them and that they conversate through text. Well the conversation was very playful and girly like but the thing that freaked me out the most was that she had no clue who these girls were. My daughters are very different. The oldest is very head strong and know right from wrong but the youngest, no matter how much I tell her she seems to be very easy to convince and I am afraid of someone taking advantage of that one day.

Well the phone has been off for a while now and boy was I glad because it was causing so much chaos at home. Tonight my mom gave the phone to the kids again and said that she went and had it turned on for them even after I told her how much craziness the phone was causing. My daughter was so happy and I told her to give the phone to her older sister because I do not trust her with the phone. She said to me that she learned her lesson and that she will not talk to people that she doesn't know. I still do not trust this because my daughter lies quite a bit. She is crying now because I told her that she cannot use the phone. She is so crazy about this dang phone! When I tried to talk with her about the phone she turned her back on me and got an attitude and then started mumbling things to herself while rolling her eyes. I told her that she sees her friends at school throughout the week why does she feel that she needs to text them, her response was "because I can" . So now she is being just plain disrespectful. I am so tired of her attitude and her talking back to me, she acts like I owe her something. I constantly give and give to her and this is what I get. I just dont understand we have had such a good day today. She was as sweet as she could be today and now all of a sudden she is turning into this hatelful 10 year old that despises me because of a freaking phone.

I said "thank you" to my 11 year old tonight when she gave me a hug goodnight. I told her that I really do appreciate her respecting me just to let her know that mommy really cares and pays attention.

I know that I am going to monitor their texts because that is really all they use the phone for but do you think that I am being too strict on her? I am raising these girls by myself with no help and I want to make the best decisions that I can. I know that I will make mistakes every now and then but I just don't want to raise out of control daughters.

by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 17, 2013 at 11:04 PM
I think a 10 year old does not need a cell phone.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)