Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Would you end (court ordered) cs just because you have a better earning job?

Posted by on May. 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM
  • 38 Replies

I will be starting my new job next week and will be getting paid much better than my last job. My ex makes $8 an hour and at my last job I made $11.50 an hour. Now I will be making $16 an hour. He wasn't an abusive ex nor have I any anger towards him(anymore). I had this court ordered in the beginning because he ruined his chance of us settling this outside of court and became an ass and gave me a pity excuse. Would the court figure 'hey she doesn't need his money anymore, she makes a much greater amount than he does now.'? Regardless the money does go towards our child's needs. If we were married and divorce and if I was receiving alimony and this happened, I'd request for it to stop. I'm showing I am now capable of raising my son financially on my own without his help.

by on May. 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 12:55 PM
They may recalculate it but there is usually a minimum that state will order NCP to pay. Unless 50/50 shared visitation
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caramel85
by on May. 18, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Quoting conniejo75:

They may recalculate it but there is usually a minimum that state will order NCP to pay. Unless 50/50 shared visitation

Well, not sure about visitation/custody they don't get involved in that. That's for the lawyers. I don't have any court order for that. He sees our son whenever he gets the chance. And that's only every 2-3 weeks and for 4 hours.

Lurion
by Member on May. 18, 2013 at 1:04 PM

He can't be paying that much anyway, right? NO WAY should you drop it. 

Usually there's a formula based on total combined income. The total will go up as well as your portion. It probably won't change significantly anyway. 

Look at it this way. Even if you're making $16/hr, that's probably still poverty level with a child. If he pays, say, $300 a month, that adds up to over $50K over her lifetime. That can make a difference between a lot of struggle and a few extras for her. Why would you deprive your daughter of that? It's hers. 

shelady99
by on May. 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldnt stop it. The courts usually try to convince the mother to keep the father on. Second, shit happens. You never know when you are going to wake up one day with more expenses and the cs will help towards the child. Third, if he wants to change it let him take you to court.
shelady99
by on May. 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldnt stop it. The courts usually try to convince the mother to keep the father on. Second, shit happens. You never know when you are going to wake up one day with more expenses and the cs will help towards the child. Third, if he wants to change it let him take you to court.
caramel85
by on May. 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM

He currently pays $102 bi weekly after court costs/fees. Set at $210 a month. That's what I get. I don't want to deprive my son. I just figured once he knows how much I make, he'll argue that I don't need his support anymore. He'll always be at the bottom of the food chain cause he chooses to.

Quoting Lurion:

Usually there's a formula based on total combined income. The total will go up as well as your portion. It probably won't change significantly anyway. 

Look at it this way. Even if you're making $16/hr, that's probably still poverty level with a child. If he pays, say, $300 a month, that adds up to over $50K over her lifetime. That can make a difference between a lot of struggle and a few extras for her. Why would you deprive your daughter of that? It's hers. 

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM
He won't get it lowered to zero. He will have to pay something. He can ask for a review but doesn't mean they will

Quoting caramel85:

He currently pays $102 bi weekly after court costs/fees. Set at $210 a month. That's what I get. I don't want to deprive my son. I just figured once he knows how much I make, he'll argue that I don't need his support anymore. He'll always be at the bottom of the food chain cause he chooses to.

Quoting Lurion:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Just meant in my state part of the formula is percentage other parent spends with child

Quoting caramel85:

Quoting conniejo75:

Well, not sure about visitation/custody they don't get involved in that. That's for the lawyers. I don't have any court order for that. He sees our son whenever he gets the chance. And that's only every 2-3 weeks and for 4 hours.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
just4ds10ee
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM
3 moms liked this

Child support is just that financial support for a child you both created...the formula is based on the combined income from the both of you and what percentage of time the child spends with the two of you and expenses involved with raising your child... just because your income increases does not mean his share of helping to financially support your child should end.

kitty8199
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM
He may pay less, but he should still pay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)