Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Getting a job and being a single mom?

Posted by on May. 18, 2013 at 8:53 PM
  • 11 Replies

How did you do it, or do it?  I have a 3 year old and have had a job before but it was when my daughter was old enough to talk and stuff. I'm going to have another baby in August and I just got a job. Thankfully the job sounds great and they said they'll let me bring my kids in when I don't have a babysitter but they're going to have to be in daycare at some point. Does anyone have any advice for me? I don't really wanna put my infant into a daycare but I guess I'm going to have to!

by on May. 18, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 18, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Do you have a babysitter now?

ilovemydarlins
by on May. 18, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Nope. My sister watches her once in a blue moon, but is going to have to watch her until I can find a daycare.

lauraash06
by Ashley on May. 19, 2013 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm a single mom. My son goes to an in home sitter. I found her on dhs child care finder. I love her. She was a single mom of 2 at one point so she understands how hard it . I feel very grateful to found her.
Pink.Sunshine.
by on May. 19, 2013 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I knew that eventually I would have to work, so instead of waiting (because we set a time period for me to get a job, save up and move on my own w the kids), I went and sent out massive apps. I got a job after only 3 months and I was a SAHM for 3 entire years and I got hired. If I can do it, another mom surely can and have as well.

Pink.Sunshine.
by on May. 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM
1 mom liked this

the only thing I'm wondering about is who is going to pick my kids up from school but I'll worry about that when the time comes. I think for now, it's better for me to work nights. That way I can be with them during the day, and I don't need a sitter. My teen keeps an eye on the little ones for 2 hours, then my STBX gets home and takes over supervision.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on May. 19, 2013 at 12:12 PM

centers aren't bad they have a low ratio of teachers to kids in the infant rooms.  I've done both home child care and center and I actually prefer the center my son has learned so much more there then in the home daycare.  I have to pay the bills which means I have to work.

dtm1491
by on May. 19, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I got very lucky. My city had just built a new YMCA center and they took babies from 2 months to 5 years. We also had Early Headstart which would have been another option I suppose but I went with the YMCA. My child is 10 and still attends on school and summer vacations.

heathermarie23
by on May. 19, 2013 at 7:07 PM

You could see if you can qualify for daycare assistance where you live to help with the cost.  Just go around and visit different daycares and see which one you like the most.  Your 3 year old will let you know if they like it or not as well, take him/her with you.

samantha.kreuze
by on May. 19, 2013 at 11:08 PM
I have a full time night job and I still live with my parents, thank god built in babysitters! My little guy goes to a private babysitter with my little brothers for a couple of hours then my parents get the kids while I am at work. I'm probably switching to first shift so ill be sending my kidlet to a center. I hear they are good for learning new things and they are great for being around kids there age which is always good!
Ali32
by on May. 19, 2013 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter started going to daycare at 10 weeks after my maternity leave was up. She's been in the same place since then and she's almost 5. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN