Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Do you own a gun?

Posted by on May. 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM
  • 32 Replies

Should I?  

As a single mom, do you think owning a gun is necessary?  Does it make one a bad parent if they have one/don't have one?  What are your thoughts?

by on May. 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steviechick
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Personally, I would like to get a gun.  I live alone and my daughter will be moving back home to save money while she attends college.  I hate the idea of some pervert scumbag coming into my home to rape me or better yet kill me while I'm sleeping.  I grew up around guns and know how to use them and have gone to the gun range with the ex.  If I could purchase I would.  I hear they are expensive.  If you think you would be safer and your kids safer then get one.  You will have to attend a safety class.   And, above all else, you will learn to how to keep the gun locked up so your kids won't be able to get at it. 

Not everyone finds owning a gun necessary.  It's all in personal choices.  If you don't want to own a gun perhaps you might want to attend defense classes.  I've attended a few in my life.  Through karate and through self-defense classes via my ex. 

newmama008
by on May. 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I own several. I don't think everyone should own a gun a lot of people don't know how to properly use one or are scared of shooting one. Theres no reason to own something you're afraid of. But I do have a pistol, that I would use for self defense if ever needed. I got it when my ex deployed a lot and now that I'm a single mom I do feel safer having it in the house. There are other things you can use for self defense though if owning a gun isn't your thing.

Robsessed98
by on May. 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM
I'm fixing to sign up for classes to get my license and a friend has a gun for me when it's time.
campingmomof4
by on May. 21, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I have guns in my house.  I have them locked up in a gun cabinet.   My kids are older and when they where middle school age they all took a hunters safety course.   The course teaches gun safety.  They all know how to use a gun if they need to. 

Shaybay218
by on May. 21, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Im a single parent and I own several...

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Does anyone think it's NOT a good idea for a single parent to have guns in the house?

virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 21, 2013 at 6:51 PM

No I do not own one and never thought about getting one.

sallij
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 7:32 PM
I own several, but I've had them since well before I was a single parent. I also have my issued duty weapon, and DD has her own gun she will eventually learn to shoot.
sid1083
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Not yet. But someone dumped/hid one in my backyard last year. I found a few bullets in my backyard as well just last week.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 8:14 PM
I personally do not. I have been a single mom for 17 years now and never owned one.
I will never say that someone should/shouldn't. But I have seen too many casrs of kids getting shot by their parents guns or a friend getting their parent's gun.
My ex has guns in his home locked in a safe.

Quoting amonkeymom:

Does anyone think it's NOT a good idea for a single parent to have guns in the house?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)