Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Single moms can have good incomes!

Posted by on May. 21, 2013 at 4:27 PM
  • 36 Replies

Hello,

My name is Yazzy and I'd like to know if it has been difficult for some of you after a divorce financially speaking.

Its been very hard for me until I found a company that pays good to work from home so I would like to hear from some of your moms experiences in the workforce, dealing with child care etc. are some of you dating?? 

Yazzy05

by on May. 21, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I have always worked while married and the last 2 years of marriage I was already financially taking care of us all. So when separation/divorce happened, I already knew what to expect.

No I am not dating. 

CrystalYaris
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I have been a single mom since day one! I was depending on my mother the first year off and on. I had a couple jobs here and there, but never enough to really be on my own since daycare was so much - I'd spend $95 a week in child care and only have a check of $180 to $190 each week after taxes. A year ago, I got a good job with benefits. I've gotten a pay raise then two months later a promotion. I'm still barely making it though. I am able to pay my bills and get groceries with enough left for gas to and from work. I can easily go through $120 a week on gas as my job is sooo far away (54 miles one direction). I get paid one the 5th and 20th of every month. Had it not been for me living in my deceased grandparent's house, I'd fall hard with bills. The house is paid for, all I have to cover are property taxes and utilities. I've looked at rent closer to work and even here in town. I couldn't do it alone. Rent in my town is $425/month and closer to work is $500+. I'm only making $12.75/hour.

CrystalYaris
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 7:09 PM

And, yes, I am dating. to answer your last question. lol

virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 21, 2013 at 7:16 PM

This is how I manage to live too. My parents are deceased and the family home is left to my brothers and I. I am responsible for proerty taxes, and utilities, and some maintenance. When its something serious like a new roof or last month a new water heater, one of my brothers covered the expense.

Without the house I would have to pay over a thousand in rent in an apartment which would put my closer to my job, but would not allow me to have enough to put away monthly for emergency savings.

Quoting CrystalYaris:

Had it not been for me living in my deceased grandparent's house, I'd fall hard with bills. The house is paid for, all I have to cover are property taxes and utilities.

sdjennv
by on May. 21, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I am so worried about this. I've been a SAHM for eight years, am 37 weeks pregnant with our third, and just  ended things with stbx a couple weeks ago. I'm scared how I'm going to support myself with three kids when we actually file and stbx moves out. I have never had any real career interests, always wanted to be a SAHM, so figuring all this out it overwhelming and terrifying.

KJ_on
by on May. 21, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Yes I make good money. It was a lot harder when I was single mom in military because I made half of what I do now. Using the same skills I learned there I got a great job in the mining world and make $29 hr. with benifits. It deffinately provides a way for me to take care of my two boys and get out of the debts the divorce left me in. Nope not dating. Hard to find the time and someone who would embrace my little minions.
Jenn8604
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I was just laid off from my job a week ago. I was making decent money $475 a week. My mom watched my son and I have been on zero dates since the sperm donor and I split in Feb 08. No it wasn't a divorce. i was smart enough not to marry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Yazzy05
by on May. 22, 2013 at 1:10 AM

I was married for 15yr. And I never worked so imagine when I divorced I had to start from scratch. It's been overwhelming thank God I found this work at home job and well, it is helping I am willing to share it with you if you want.

Yazzy05
by on May. 22, 2013 at 1:12 AM

That is great! Good for you

raegan1221
by Raegan on May. 22, 2013 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this
7 yrs later and I still struggle. Mind if I ask how you work from home? I'd loooove to.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN