Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

how do you spend your child support?

Posted by on May. 21, 2013 at 6:02 PM
  • 82 Replies
So bf and I broke up last week. He has not moved out yet but we have talked about child support, visitation, etc. He does not want to go through the courts so as long as he doesn't doesn't try to screw me over I figured I'd guve it a chance. He said he'd give me what ever I needed for her but I told him I want a set amount each month on top of his half of the rent til our lease is up and I get my own place again. I live in San Diego, Ca. And would barely afford a 1 bedroom in the area I'd like to stay in (work and kids schools are in this area). How much should I ask for?

At to get to the tittle of this post. ..my oldest isn't his. Her sperm donor isn't on her birth certificate and I haven't seen him in 6 years so I get no support for her. I was doing ok just me and her before I met new exbf...so, how would I spend the money he gives me as far as groceries and stuff for the house? I will end up having to apply for fs because like I said I'll barely be able to make rent...I'm I suppose to buy her food and stuff separately? And bills etc?
by on May. 21, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SaraSnider
by on May. 21, 2013 at 6:11 PM
5 moms liked this
CS is for anything u need it for. it could go tords power bill, rent and so on. as long as its tords keeping ur child healthy happy and safe.
Chloesmom2004
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 6:24 PM
That's how I feel it should be spent. I just don't want him telling me that money isn't for food for everyone ( my oldest not his bio kid) etc...that would be an asshole thing to do/say though...

Quoting SaraSnider:

CS is for anything u need it for. it could go tords power bill, rent and so on. as long as its tords keeping ur child healthy happy and safe.

mnivis01
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM
3 moms liked this
Go on your state website. They have a child support calculator there that you can add you and your exs info.

It will give you the amount the courts would order. You dont have to use that amount exactly but it will give you an idea of how much to tell him.
SaraSnider
by on May. 21, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Just tell him if he is a dick you will take him to court lol

Quoting Chloesmom2004:

That's how I feel it should be spent. I just don't want him telling me that money isn't for food for everyone ( my oldest not his bio kid) etc...that would be an asshole thing to do/say though...

Quoting SaraSnider:

virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 21, 2013 at 6:47 PM
3 moms liked this

My child support covers my son after school program, and summer camp expenses. Whats left is his savings ($50)

virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 21, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Whatever is decided make sure its documented. Not good to go on anyone's word alone. 

Chloesmom2004
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM

oh I didn't know they had something like that. Thing is he makes most of his money in his tips...roughly around 80-100 a night if it's busy so he wanted to be a dick he wouldn't have to report that, although then they might question how he is able to afford things...I was thinking of asking for $400 a month. I think that's fair

Quoting mnivis01:

Go on your state website. They have a child support calculator there that you can add you and your exs info.

It will give you the amount the courts would order. You dont have to use that amount exactly but it will give you an idea of how much to tell him.

Chloesmom2004
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 7:39 PM

OH! The second he tries pulling any shit I'm filing for child support! lol Then He'll really pay out of the ass then!

Quoting SaraSnider:

Just tell him if he is a dick you will take him to court lol

Quoting Chloesmom2004:

Quoting SaraSnider:

Chloesmom2004
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I agree. Although our daughter is too young for school, I want to enroll her in head start though and I'll put that towards what ever they wouldn't cover

Quoting virginiamama71:

Whatever is decided make sure its documented. Not good to go on anyone's word alone. 

mollymae09
by on May. 21, 2013 at 7:43 PM
7 moms liked this
Save yourself a step and just go through the courts. I know it sucks, but it is nice to have it all recorded. Trust me on this!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN