Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

in day care all day?

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM
  • 10 Replies
I'm gonna start working full time 8-5. Then I have school full time @ 7pm. So that means my daughter will have to be in day care alllll day. I will drop her off at 7 and pick her up around 6.. I feel super bad that dhe had to be there all day, kinda like a bad parent. But I am a single mother and no onr else is willing to pick her up a little early. Does any other mother have this problem ot feels bad like I do?
by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steviechick
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter grew up in daycare.  She even had to go to someone's house after school until she could stay home by herself (12 yrs old).  I was even married at the time this happened.  You do what you have to do when you have no choice.  Being a single mom and going to school - I commend you!  You ARE doing what is best not only for you but for your child.  Having a job to support you and your child AND going to school is fantastic.  You aren't a bad parent.  You be be a 'bad parent' if you didn't care about your child.  You do.  I used to feel guilty about putting my daughter in daycare all day long but I had to start realizing it was the for the best.  Not everyone I knew was able to be a SAHM - even the single ones.  Your child will start to get used to being with someone else during the day and for a few hours during the week.  You still have quality time with your child just before putting them to bed and on the weekends. 

LauraMH
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2013 at 3:00 PM
3 moms liked this

My kids spend A LOT of time in day care. Don't feel bad or let anyone else make you feel bad about it! You do what you have to do. You are bettering your life by going to school which in turn will better your child's life. It is ok, I promise :)

maddiemommy2009
by on May. 22, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Why moms feel like they are a bad mother when a child is in daycare .... I'm a single mom my baby spent her life in daycare shes almost 4 . My hours are long 7:00 am- 7:30pm yes I wish I could get home early to be with her but I can't that's life on weekends I make up for that . Most important to me is my baby knows I love her and she very much loves her mommy ....

I think you should be proud of urself working and going to school is a big sacrifice plus do it now whule shes young because when they become teenager s hun i'm very much sure you wouldn't want a late night job or school .
libramoon007
by on May. 22, 2013 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I only have this to say...we have to do what we have to do. My dd start daycare at 12 weeks old. She came out for a little bit but most of her life has been full time daycare. There was a time I was in school for my final semester 5 days a week in a dorm for my school in order to give her a better life. Do not let anyone ever make you feel ypu are doing a bad job at being a mom. I say this I get to watch her grow up. i feed her every night, bath her and spend as much time as I can with her. She loves her mom and that is import. She knows I am there for her. You are a fantastic mother. You are doing what is right by your child. My dd now goes to preschool and is there from 7:30-5 sometimes or later. But I can afford it. You are going to school and are a single mother and that is fantastic. Keep it up. I don't feel guilty because is learning so much and has good food and knows that growns have to go to work. That is the way life is. Good luck in school and hold your head up high because you are the best mom to your little one. 

cholita1978
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Dd has been in daycare since she was 8 weeks old (she's 6 now) but she still has to go to a before and after school program, I'm always honest with her, she knows everything I do is for a better life for both of us, and she knows I love her.
Don't feel bad you are working, and going to school you should feel very proud of yourself mama :-)
BostonMomma08
by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:02 PM
I'm a 21 yeqr old single momma of an almost 5 year old boy, and I'm in the same boat as you. I go to school during the day 2 days a week and I work 5 nights a week including Friday-Sunday nights. My son is in pre-k Monday-Friday 8:30am-3:30pm. On days I have school I don't get out until 4 and it takes me 30-45 minutes to get to his school from my school so he is in the after care program those days. Usually on the days I work I go in at 3, so he goes directly to the sitter's house after school (our sitter is my good friend/co-worker's husband) and I don't pick him up until I'm out at 10-11pm. I hate that I don't see my son for an entire day often, that he's asleep when I pick him up and then we wake up in the morning and I take him right to school, but it's what I have to do right now...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:13 PM
If its a good day care, don't beat yourself up about it. Don't feel guilty for doing what you have to in order to make a better life for your child. You may lack quantity of time with her but quality time is more important, so make the most o. what you do have.
newlife2013
by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:52 PM

my youngest went to day care and while your heart breaks and you struggle with your decision, we have to do it and i would truly treasure the time we had together.

Lots of parents drop off their kids and they aren't going to work and school....free your heart of the guilt. 

virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 23, 2013 at 12:27 AM
My son is 10. He started daycare parttime at 6 weeks. At one year he was there fulltime. Than when he started Kindergarten he was attending a after school program that he still attends. I was married for the first 9 years of his life and always worked fulltime. When I get off work and when I have days off from work its all about time with my son. We do what we have to do to survive and lay an example for our children.
Michelleg-31
by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:33 AM
Thanks EVERYONE for the encouraging words!! I seriously needed that. I talked with a few other mothers from her day care and they say their children go all day (most are even married). I will definitely cherish my time with my daughter on the weekends!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)