Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Child Support?

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 11:01 PM
  • 22 Replies

I am 20 years old and I have a 4 Month old son. Long story short, the Father & I have not spoken in about 2 months and he has not been helping out with our son. I'm not sure if I should press the issue with Child Support or just let it go and raise our son without him. Please help?

by on May. 22, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by on May. 22, 2013 at 11:31 PM
3 moms liked this

You should press for child support, and you should file for it tomorrow. If he is not spending time with his son, he needs to be there financially for your son through child support. It is based on a percentage of his income before taxes. I recommend having it garnished through the state, so he can't play any games with it.

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 23, 2013 at 12:12 AM
does he work?
chirpymama87
by on May. 23, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Dawn, how does that work?
My children's father skipped out on paying support for this whole year cause he refuses to get a job. How does the garnishment work?

Quoting dawncs:

You should press for child support, and you should file for it tomorrow. If he is not spending time with his son, he needs to be there financially for your son through child support. It is based on a percentage of his income before taxes. I recommend having it garnished through the state, so he can't play any games with it.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 23, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Someone has to be working in order for their wages to be garnished. If they work and not paying and no garnishment has been ordered, when they file taxes this can be garnished.
Quoting chirpymama87:

My children's father skipped out on paying support for this whole year cause he refuses to get a job. How does the garnishment work?

Quoting dawncs:

MIMIBRIE
by Jayme on May. 23, 2013 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Personally it depends for me. If you need the extra money then file or of you want to save it for college etc then it can come in handy.

I didn't file on my Los father BC he just leaves me alone and I leave him alone. Its harder to explain why you're kids father pops in and out of their lives than for them to never know them. I see it as they can't miss what they never had.

Some don't agree with it but it works for me. So do what works for you :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 12:54 AM
I agree. My father was never part of my life and I didn't miss out. My sons father is in and out whenever its convenient. I do have a CS order though and its not been paid in nearly 2 years. I plan on using it as leverage.

Quoting MIMIBRIE:

Personally it depends for me. If you need the extra money then file or of you want to save it for college etc then it can come in handy.

I didn't file on my Los father BC he just leaves me alone and I leave him alone. Its harder to explain why you're kids father pops in and out of their lives than for them to never know them. I see it as they can't miss what they never had.

Some don't agree with it but it works for me. So do what works for you :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chirpymama87
by on May. 23, 2013 at 2:35 AM
Would it be too late now to get his taxes garnished?
The a-hole has 3 lawyers (unofficially) so I've been at a loss as to why he just won't pay up...

Quoting virginiamama71:

Someone has to be working in order for their wages to be garnished. If they work and not paying and no garnishment has been ordered, when they file taxes this can be garnished.

Quoting chirpymama87:

Quoting dawncs:

Chloesmom2004
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 7:17 AM
My ex works but hasn't filed taxes in 2 years. I haven't started a case for cs but if he wants to see his daughter after he moves he's gonna have to pay up. He owes the state money to so :/
richsinglemomma
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I have never received child support for my now 13 year old son. It would have been nice to have the extra but my peace of mind was much more important. I made the decision not to go after child support because he didn't bother to show up after my son was born. He basically ran so I let him. I don't chase men for any reason.

In my state the name of the father can't be put on the birth certificate unless he signs it. He didn't so I don't acknowledge him and have no legal obligation to let him see my son. It makes it easier for adoption should I meet and marry a wonderful man who actually wants to be a father.

I've taken care of us through God's grace and sheer determination. It wasn't easy in the beginning but I set a goal to be my own child's support and we've made it. I am doing better without it than I would have if I had depended on it and struggled and fought for it every month. I have better things to do with my time and it is too much negativity to fight against. My child deserved much better from me and he's got it.

Like someone else said, it seems the child does not miss what he has not known and it's true. Eventually they will ask about their father, but if you've created a loving home and provided stability and security, they will not be so negatively affected. Definitely keep things positive and protect your child from the negativity of others. You can make it without child support, and I dare say, you may be better off without it if you have the determination to make your life work.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have. Just friend me and/or send me a message. 

Samantha Gregory
A veteran single mom - Ask me anything

dawncs
by on May. 23, 2013 at 9:13 AM

If the state finds his employer through his Social Security number, they will send a garnishment letter, and it will be automatically sent. He may or may not be working. He could have switched to being under the table or commission only job. It screws him in the end trust me with retirement. Unless he figures out how to pay Social Security taxes to the government, he will only get a small amount in it which would be hard to survive. My Mom used to be friends with a Deadbeat father, but she did not realize it. He went into the vending machine business. He is stuck with a house in retirement and $700 a month in Social Security. However, gas prices and real estate taxes eat up what he brings in easy. He is always on the search for a resource to help him stretch what little he has remaining in his savings or Social Security retirement.

Quoting chirpymama87:

Quoting dawncs:

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)