Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I tell them?

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:03 AM
  • 31 Replies
That their dad won't be getting them this summer? They've had their heart set on this since March, and not two weeks ago that ass told me he can't afford it. I'm so sad and hurt for my kids
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starry_mom
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Is there anything you can afford that they think would be fun? Like Disney land or even swimming lessons?
Stephd710
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:39 AM
6 moms liked this

I would make HIM tell them!

SAMI_JO
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Bet he can afford things he wants to do. Men are so greedy. I think men are born this way. Every man I have ever known is that way. 

MamaHens3
by Martica on May. 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I agree with him HIM tell them, so they can hear him say it and not think you don't want them to see him. As much a it sucks to say, and admit seems like when us momma's say something it sounds like its us. I'm sorry he is doing this, I get he can't afford it yet he should do the letting down. 

Try to find things you can do with them, a local water park and just make it a blast whatever it is. Hugs momma, and within time they'll see how their father is a let down sadly. 

Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Yep, that's HIS responsibility to tell them. He doesn't tell them when you can't do something with them so you shouldn't do his dirty work.
MrsBoats08
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Can't afford a lot. I'm trying to get dd 6 into gymnastics, and ds 4 is in the special Olympics.

Quoting starry_mom:

Is there anything you can afford that they think would be fun? Like Disney land or even swimming lessons?
MrsBoats08
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:22 AM
I have to call him to talk to the kids, he never calls. When they talk to him he's always at the horse track. Little does he know I'm in talks with dcse to get his license suspended since he doesn't feel like he has to pay his court ordered CS.

Quoting SAMI_JO:

Bet he can afford things he wants to do. Men are so greedy. I think men are born this way. Every man I have ever known is that way. 

starry_mom
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM
I'm sure that'd be worth it, or even day camps or something... But sounds like your ex is just copping out...
krisnkids
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Ugh so sorry to hear. Do you have a local YMCA? They have great summer programs and you can apply for financial assistance. I agree with the others, dad can tell them. But be ready with, hey, its okay, we will still have a ball this summer doing xyz.

nerdymom28
by on May. 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

If he can't keep them, he needs to call them and tell them himself. I'm not gonna be the "bad guy" to my kids because of someone else's poor decisions.

That being said, there's tons of things you can do with your kids that would be fun and cheap. I can't afford tickets to zoos or amusement parks or gym memberships, so I make my own fun at home. Last year I did an "obstacle course" in our backyard with stuff we had in the house. Like....do a hula hoop, run to the next part and successfully blow a bubble and then pop it, run to the next part and write your name in chalk on the sidewalk, run to the next part and do a somersault, run through the sprinkler to the front porch. First kid there wins a cookie. My daughter and the neighbor kids raced on that obstacle course for HOURS. It is one of their favorite memories. :)

You can also buy some regular acrylic paints at the craft section in Walmart, a few brushes and sponges (maybe $10 altogether) and let them paint your windows (on the outside). It scrubs right off with soap and water.

I don't know your whole situation, but if you work full time and aren't able to do a lot with your kids during the day, you can do the things I mentioned above on your day off. That's what I did. I work Monday through Friday, so during the summer we go all out on the weekends and play til we drop. It makes the week at daycare worth it for my kids, and it makes the week at work worth it for me. We all have something to look forward to on the weekend, and I cherish the memories we make together.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)