Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going back to my maiden name

My ex and I have been informally separated for about a year and a half now. But I was living with him still, until two months ago (I had nowhere else to go and couldn't financially support myself, so I stayed for as long as I could handle the abuse). So I moved out two months ago, am filing for divorce, have been seeing someone for a month (a good friend of mine whom I've known since junior high), and I would really like to drop my married name now. I know that legally I can't yet, but I want to drop it on Facebook, at the very least. I have no ties to the name, I don't have a career to think about, etc. Everyone already knows me by my maiden name anyway. I just don't want to see like I'm being a jerk to my ex. As horrible as he was to me, I know he's having a hard time right now and I don't want to rock any boats. But I also really don't want or have any need to keep his last name. Just wanting to change it first on Facebook. Feels weird for me to keep it when everyone knows we're not together.
by on May. 24, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Replies (11-13):
by on May. 26, 2013 at 1:13 AM

I don't know about the US but in Canada a woman who changed her last name through marriage can still use her maiden name even if she isn't divorced.  

I never legally changed my last name (good call, eh? lol)  but I assumed my husbands.  After we separated I added my maiden name to my name on facebook and a couple months ago I dropped his name from my name. You could try that. I did it more to transition my kids than for my ex.  

by on May. 26, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Yeah, I would go ahead and change it.  You have to do what's best for you. :) Good luck!

by on May. 26, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Good for you change it and move on!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)