Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single mom raising boys alone

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:48 PM
  • 27 Replies

Hello moms. I have two boys and a girl that I am taking care of and raising by myself, his choice not to help raising them, & ages 12 1/2, 10, and 10 (twins). I have only sisters and no brothers. Their father have brothers but they never come around, again their choice because they don't want to be disloyal to their brother which is my kids' father. Anyway, you hear and read all the time that a woman can't raise a boy to be a man or boys without father mostly end up in jail and another one, boys without fathers (or male role model for all three saying) most likely will not be successful. Is any moms who had to raise boys alone or is raising boys alone now having successful, happy outcome from this experience?

by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luv.My.Kidz
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I've been raising my boys until 2 1/2 years ago on my own. My boys are A-B students, extremely respectful, etc.

it honestly hasn't been until recently that they started getting mouthy when DF and I started talking and planning our wedding. Both of their sperm donors walked out on them 2 yrs after them being born so they are waiting for DF to do that. It's not happening though.

There are many many successful men out there who were raised by single mothers. My Aunt raised her son from birth until 18 and he's a lieutenant for the local Police Dept.

ChocolateAngel3
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Thanks for sharing. This is a wonderful post. I always felt like boys could grow up to be successful men being raise by a woman and reading your post confirmed my beliefs. You and your aunt seem to be great, strong, wonderful moms and women...

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

I've been raising my boys until 2 1/2 years ago on my own. My boys are A-B students, extremely respectful, etc.

it honestly hasn't been until recently that they started getting mouthy when DF and I started talking and planning our wedding. Both of their sperm donors walked out on them 2 yrs after them being born so they are waiting for DF to do that. It's not happening though.

There are many many successful men out there who were raised by single mothers. My Aunt raised her son from birth until 18 and he's a lieutenant for the local Police Dept.

mrsary
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 5:00 PM
I've been raising my 8 yr old daughter and 3 & 5 yr old sons since day one. The boys are book smart but hard to handle ( such as runs away from me in public, has tantrums & fight me in public, call me names). My daughter has already failed 1st grade once, she is lazy as hell, tries to talk back although I don't let her get away with it. Most of the time she acts like a 2 yr old.
newlife2013
by on May. 24, 2013 at 5:05 PM
2 moms liked this
Just love them as much as you can, i have three boys, and it is tough because you have to encourage them to do well because there are no other choices in life but on the other hand I take them to sporting events, they have activities and my family and friends are wonderful and they see examples of strong and good men in our lives they know will help and support them. I do think they try hard not to let me down because I'm their mom but I also try not to let them down. I decided not to date in case I meet a loser that I thought was a good guy but I hope one day I do. Good luck.
Christy78
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 5:19 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm raising my kids alone my son who is 11 yr old since he was 2 yrs old . My husband was Killed IN Iraq. I keep him very busy. he is in Boy Scouts and Once we get are house. My kids will be going back to swim lessons, Gymnastic's and Karate. No all Boys who are raised by single moms go to Jail A family friend he husband has never met his dad before he was born he dad was killed and he is a Capt. in the Marines.
MomAmy77
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 5:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Hello and welcome . I'm a single mom of two boys 10 and 7 

virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 24, 2013 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

So far I feel I am progressing along very well. My son is 10 and he does have his father, uncles in his life, most of his time is around me. But I am learning as I go...its all I can do.

thatonemomof2
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 7:39 PM
2 moms liked this
My dad was raised with out a father. His dad died in a shooting accident when my dad was 2 yo. My dad is not retired but he never ended up in jail and was successful in his line of work. He is my sons father figure because his dad is not around.
ChocolateAngel3
by on May. 24, 2013 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this

When my boys was younger, they would act out bad in public. They tried to try me a lot of time but they don't act like that now since they are older. Hopefully that behavior is a maturity thing and they will grow out of it as they get older.

Quoting mrsary:

I've been raising my 8 yr old daughter and 3 & 5 yr old sons since day one. The boys are book smart but hard to handle ( such as runs away from me in public, has tantrums & fight me in public, call me names). My daughter has already failed 1st grade once, she is lazy as hell, tries to talk back although I don't let her get away with it. Most of the time she acts like a 2 yr old.

Chelsey191
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:11 PM
2 moms liked this
My kid is more man than most the boys I know who have a dad. I do it alone, never had brothers and ds dad lives in Africa so he doesn't see him ever.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)