Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Solo Vacations with Kids

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 7:02 PM
  • 10 Replies

Has anyone else ever gone on a vacation or road trip with just themselves and their kids?  When I was married we were always on the go and ever since the divorce I haven't really been brave enough to try it on my own.  I'd love to hear your guys' stories and tips!  :)

by on May. 24, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraMH
by on May. 24, 2013 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I took the kids to Florida by myself. They where 2 and (newly) 5. We drove from missouri and had a blast!! We did stay with my sister by she had to work almost the whole 2 weeks we were there.
We did everything under the sun I could think of. We went on a dolphin cruise, to the children's museums, alligator alley (got to hold gators :), the beach almost everyday, down town activities, everything.
It was really scary at first but I ended up having an amazing time and so did the kids. I'm so glad I could give them that experience and would do it again in a heart beat. Since then, every other time we do something (no more big vacations but camping and stuff) we go with friends. I'm always the only one without a man but it doesn't matter to me. We are all close and i don't in any way feel excluded.
You can do it :)
virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 24, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I went to Philly last year with my son, than 9. We took the bus.

I would like to travel further with him, maybe cross country trip but will wait until he is older.

lucasmadre
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:34 PM
2 moms liked this

My son and I are planning a trip this summer, just the two of us and I am a little nervous but also excited. We are going to NY to see a new Lego Land, not the giant theme park but a smaller one. We are going to stay in a hotel for a day or two and I hope go into the city to the Museum of Natural History. I am getting nervous just writing about it!

We started small last summer just staying at a nice hotel with a pool about 45 minutes from home...do an overnight and see how it goes. You don't have to go far from home for it to feel like a vacation.

I miss camping but that I would never feel safe doing without a man...wish I did but I am not that brave! Good luck...XO

Ali32
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I have taken DD to the beach several times by myself. For about the last 2 years. We have always had a good time. 

virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 24, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Sounds like it will be a fun vacation!!
Quoting lucasmadre:

My son and I are planning a trip this summer, just the two of us and I am a little nervous but also excited. We are going to NY to see a new Lego Land, not the giant theme park but a smaller one. We are going to stay in a hotel for a day or two and I hope go into the city to the Museum of Natural History. I am getting nervous just writing about it!

We started small last summer just staying at a nice hotel with a pool about 45 minutes from home...do an overnight and see how it goes. You don't have to go far from home for it to feel like a vacation.

I miss camping but that I would never feel safe doing without a man...wish I did but I am not that brave! Good luck...XO

AhDrah
by on May. 25, 2013 at 9:17 AM

That's a great idea about starting small!  I think thats what I'll do before I jump into something big (I want to take them about 9 hours away to a beach in Michigan eventually).  Good luck on your big vacation!  It sounds like lots of fun! :)

Quoting lucasmadre:

krisnkids
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM
I moved across country with the kids when they were 4, 7, 9 and 11 by myself. Even when I was married my husband was gone so much that I often travelled alone. My sisters wedding when I had only 3 and the youngest was 9 months old etc. If I waited for someone to offer to go along I would never have gone anywhere. our latest was a week long rip to Orlando where we went to Discovery Cove, seaward and aquatica. Is it easy or an actual vacation for me? Not really its more like a working vacation because I still am doing so much.Our next vacation I want to go to an all inclusive ranch vacation, I figure that or a cruise is the only way for me to have a real vacation with the kids.
LifeCafe42
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM
We do a lot of day trips haven't spent the night anywhere
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heathermarie23
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I took mine to Disney for a few days, it's only an hour and a half away though...  if your nervous to go alone, bring a friend..  When we go we don't have a set schedule it's kind of just go with the flow, my friend goes with us most of the time with her son.

sid1083
by on May. 25, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Last month my kids (1.5 & 3.5) went on a cross-country trip to DC for 9 days. The only downside I found was pushing the double stroller, dragging a massive bag and 2 car seats through the airport by myself. I did come across a TON of helpful people though and it was an awesome vacation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)