Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Solo Vacations with Kids

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 7:02 PM
  • 10 Replies

Has anyone else ever gone on a vacation or road trip with just themselves and their kids?  When I was married we were always on the go and ever since the divorce I haven't really been brave enough to try it on my own.  I'd love to hear your guys' stories and tips!  :)

by on May. 24, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraMH
by on May. 24, 2013 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I took the kids to Florida by myself. They where 2 and (newly) 5. We drove from missouri and had a blast!! We did stay with my sister by she had to work almost the whole 2 weeks we were there.
We did everything under the sun I could think of. We went on a dolphin cruise, to the children's museums, alligator alley (got to hold gators :), the beach almost everyday, down town activities, everything.
It was really scary at first but I ended up having an amazing time and so did the kids. I'm so glad I could give them that experience and would do it again in a heart beat. Since then, every other time we do something (no more big vacations but camping and stuff) we go with friends. I'm always the only one without a man but it doesn't matter to me. We are all close and i don't in any way feel excluded.
You can do it :)
virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 24, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I went to Philly last year with my son, than 9. We took the bus.

I would like to travel further with him, maybe cross country trip but will wait until he is older.

lucasmadre
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:34 PM
2 moms liked this

My son and I are planning a trip this summer, just the two of us and I am a little nervous but also excited. We are going to NY to see a new Lego Land, not the giant theme park but a smaller one. We are going to stay in a hotel for a day or two and I hope go into the city to the Museum of Natural History. I am getting nervous just writing about it!

We started small last summer just staying at a nice hotel with a pool about 45 minutes from home...do an overnight and see how it goes. You don't have to go far from home for it to feel like a vacation.

I miss camping but that I would never feel safe doing without a man...wish I did but I am not that brave! Good luck...XO

Ali32
by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I have taken DD to the beach several times by myself. For about the last 2 years. We have always had a good time. 

virginiamama71
by Carrie on May. 24, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Sounds like it will be a fun vacation!!
Quoting lucasmadre:

My son and I are planning a trip this summer, just the two of us and I am a little nervous but also excited. We are going to NY to see a new Lego Land, not the giant theme park but a smaller one. We are going to stay in a hotel for a day or two and I hope go into the city to the Museum of Natural History. I am getting nervous just writing about it!

We started small last summer just staying at a nice hotel with a pool about 45 minutes from home...do an overnight and see how it goes. You don't have to go far from home for it to feel like a vacation.

I miss camping but that I would never feel safe doing without a man...wish I did but I am not that brave! Good luck...XO

AhDrah
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 9:17 AM

That's a great idea about starting small!  I think thats what I'll do before I jump into something big (I want to take them about 9 hours away to a beach in Michigan eventually).  Good luck on your big vacation!  It sounds like lots of fun! :)

Quoting lucasmadre:

krisnkids
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM
I moved across country with the kids when they were 4, 7, 9 and 11 by myself. Even when I was married my husband was gone so much that I often travelled alone. My sisters wedding when I had only 3 and the youngest was 9 months old etc. If I waited for someone to offer to go along I would never have gone anywhere. our latest was a week long rip to Orlando where we went to Discovery Cove, seaward and aquatica. Is it easy or an actual vacation for me? Not really its more like a working vacation because I still am doing so much.Our next vacation I want to go to an all inclusive ranch vacation, I figure that or a cruise is the only way for me to have a real vacation with the kids.
LifeCafe42
by Nora on May. 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM
We do a lot of day trips haven't spent the night anywhere
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heathermarie23
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I took mine to Disney for a few days, it's only an hour and a half away though...  if your nervous to go alone, bring a friend..  When we go we don't have a set schedule it's kind of just go with the flow, my friend goes with us most of the time with her son.

sid1083
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Last month my kids (1.5 & 3.5) went on a cross-country trip to DC for 9 days. The only downside I found was pushing the double stroller, dragging a massive bag and 2 car seats through the airport by myself. I did come across a TON of helpful people though and it was an awesome vacation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)