Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help pleaseee

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM
  • 7 Replies

I am going to court because my daughters father wants to change her last name from my last name to his. He is a pos and doesnt deserve her to have his last name. I live in de which is a father state so he will prob get his way but if their is anyone out thre that can give some advice on how i could win it would help so much. I have raised my daughter alone for the past six months and i believe her last name should remain as it is but how do i get the comissinor to see that. . . please helppp

by on May. 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Robsessed98
by on May. 26, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Welcome to the group. I've never known of a father being denied his name as long as he is active and contributes. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I've known a lot who have lost that battle. Personally, I think if he's around, thechild should have his name, but that's just me. Give it your best shot and if you feel that strongly, I hope you win.
Lunarprancer
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Is he on the birth certificate?  Does he pay child support?  Lawyer up mama.  My daughter has my last name and f if I'd let that be compromised.

MandaMom23
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Good luck!  My son has my last name, his dad isnt really involved and he hasnt made any comments about it.

jessi2girls
by Member on May. 26, 2013 at 8:07 PM

that's a tough call.. what is the court order for custody currently? Child support? 

Kaydanse26
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:03 PM

He pays 34 dollars a week in child support and said that he just wants her to have his last name to prove a point that he can get whatever he wants. I currently have full custody and he has visitation until our court date. I had a lawyer but she was so shady i think she knew him. She told me i would lose so there was no point trying os i fired her. Im so over him getting everything he wants. 

Oliviasmom72
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Hyphenate it. It is fair to both. He is still the father and a court may agree he has some naming rigts. the courts may order you to hyphenate it. That is exactly what my step-daughter was forced to do.

dstarr347
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Sounds like he is doing this because he is angry you won't take him back. My ex husband tried that but he is not on our children's bc 's because he was not present for their birth and after the divorce he never paid cs. All the kids have my maiden name. When the kids were older he asked them would they take his name and they said No daddy we like our names better!lol! I have never seen his face so sad.Oh,well too bad he should have manned up and took responsibility when the opportunity presented itself.In my state you can not put the father's name on the bc unless he is present for the birth and signs paperwork establishing paternity at the hospital. He never did so he is not the LEGAL father under California law. The legal father is the one pursued for cs. If you don't pay you have no say.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)