Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

How do I get them to obey?

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM
  • 15 Replies

My kiddos are really trying my patience lately.  I can't seem to get them to do what they're told lately.  If I tell my daughter to do something, she sits and plays on her phone until I repeat myself and then she gets ticked that she has to do it (it can be something as small as closing a window or big as helping fix dinner).  

Needless to say, I've been taking the phone away a lot, but I'm really sick of the attitude.  Any tips for me?

by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MIMIBRIE
by Jayme on May. 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Persistence is the key. I wouldnt be giving the phone back at all until I noticed she had a better attitude. I give one time for them to do things and then their stuff gets taken away. TV, friends, toys, computer. Whatever here if you don't do your part you don't get rewards.

Sometimes though when my oldest doesn't listen or has a bad attitude, I have a talk with her and there's usually something bothering her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on May. 27, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Persistance, consistency and age appropriate discipline. It can be an uphill battle, but if you keep at it you can win.
Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM
How old are they?
rocky_mtn_mama
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:10 PM

15 & 12.

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

How old are they?

rocky_mtn_mama
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Oh, I'm not.  She's already asked for it back (so she could "listen to music on it') but I stood my ground.  Darn teenager!

Quoting MIMIBRIE:

Persistence is the key. I wouldnt be giving the phone back at all until I noticed she had a better attitude. I give one time for them to do things and then their stuff gets taken away. TV, friends, toys, computer. Whatever here if you don't do your part you don't get rewards.

Sometimes though when my oldest doesn't listen or has a bad attitude, I have a talk with her and there's usually something bothering her.

Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:24 PM
I was put on restrictions- no phone, no going anywhere, no having friends over.
PinkButterfly66
by on May. 27, 2013 at 1:39 PM

15 & 12.. teens!  Be consistent with your actions.  Take privileges away and be consistent.  Have they finshed school for the year yet?  

dreamgurl828
by on May. 27, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I feel you i have three daughters my oldest in about to be eleven and one new born son, needless to say my hands are full i am married but my husband works out of state, my eleven year old has alway been a handful but it seems its more latley the attitude the hitting and fighting with her sisters disrespect. i dont know how to maintain the calmness in the house anymore, even though i am married i am basicaly a single mother because my husband is gone months at a time and she will only listen to him its almost like she hates me

rocky_mtn_mama
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 9:21 PM

No.  One finishes Wednesday and the other Thursday.  

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

15 & 12.. teens!  Be consistent with your actions.  Take privileges away and be consistent.  Have they finshed school for the year yet?  

rocky_mtn_mama
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 9:23 PM

She doesn't hate you, I will tell you that.  Those preteen years are horrible with girls, with all of the hormones and confusing things happening at school and with her friends.  It did get better with my daughter once she finally started her period, at least now we know when to expect the emotional times.

Quoting dreamgurl828:

I feel you i have three daughters my oldest in about to be eleven and one new born son, needless to say my hands are full i am married but my husband works out of state, my eleven year old has alway been a handful but it seems its more latley the attitude the hitting and fighting with her sisters disrespect. i dont know how to maintain the calmness in the house anymore, even though i am married i am basicaly a single mother because my husband is gone months at a time and she will only listen to him its almost like she hates me

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)