Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:14 PM
  • 5 Replies
I am a newly single mother with 2 daughters 14 and 16. My husband filed for divorce end of february and already has a girlfriend who he lives with. he has also had my children meet her and stay all together at his parents house. my 14 year old wants nothing to do with him, i am wondering do i have to send her to see him? i have not been able to afford a lawyer so i have been trying to do this all myself. he has done so much to me and told my oldest and she has not told me, left me in dark and i dont know what to do. any advice on this would be helpful. i am trying to find a pro bono lawyer in my area but cant find one.
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
zebra556
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Lawyers will give a free consultation. You could see about that. Also counseling is a good idea for your girls.
zebra556
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 10:42 PM
You said he filed for divorce? Did you respond? What is the status of the filing?
newlife2013
by on May. 29, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Take her to.counseling so this doesnt affect her in school. Depending on the state 14 is the age.where a judge would listen to her request, speak to a lawyer so they.can guide you.correctly?
A-nony-mous
by on May. 30, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Yes, I believe at 14 she has a legal say in where she wants to live and any 'visitation'. And before anything is filed officially I believe she can still say. What are you supposed to do if she says she doesn' want to go, physically pick her up and carry her over to the car and put her in and then carry her into his house kicking, screaming and flailing? Is he supposed to come over and do this? Unlikely. So if she says she wants to go, there isn't much he can do about it...so just tell him (or have her/them tell him) that they don't want to visit anymore. 

mygirlsrule1850
by on May. 30, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I dont have a lawyer.  I am trying to get one but finanacially not an option.  I did file my response and stated i wanted visitation with her and him reserved due to issues and of course he wants to not have that happen.  She hates him and with her mental issues he has no clue on earth how to handle her and handle her gently.  she has issues with him bringing his girlfriend around when we are divorced yet.  I had to file child support papers as he seems to only pay what he wants.  this family comes first not her.  so frustrated.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)