Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

I am a 28-year-old single mom of an 8-year-old son.

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:24 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hi, I'm Audra. I am and always have been not just a single mom, but I am not just mom I also play the role of dad to my 8-year-old son. My son has never really mentioned or had a whole lot  of questions why he doesn't have a dad, till this school year. With Father's Day this weekend, I feel kind of lost. Especially because he brought up Father's Day about a month ago. Stating "I can't do anything for Father's Day like all the other kids in my class." Talk about a gut wrenching moment. However, I have always taught him that he doesn't have and/or do anything less then any other child that has a mom and a dad. Plus, I have never bad mouthed his "sperm donor" to or around him. I just don't know if I'm going about things the right way. He is a very smart, kind, caring, loving, beautiful little guy and is truly my world. I also have a saying, "It's better for him to have no "father" at all, then to have a crappy one that is bouncing in and out of his life." Am I doing the right thing by him?

I am 28-years-old and don't really have any friends. I also haven't really dated since before my son was born. I feel very lost.

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Does he have Grandfathers, Uncles, male cousins he can spend time around?
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:36 PM
My oldest nephew knew his father (my brother) but was raised by my father (his Grandfather). They went and did everything together (fishing, sports, showing up for school activities)
Audra810
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM

He sees his grandfather from time to time, but my father isn't the best role modle. He treated  me very poorly my whole life. 

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM
When he sees his Grandfather does he treat him bad also?
Quoting Audra810:

He sees his grandfather from time to time, but my father isn't the best role modle. He treated  me very poorly my whole life. 

Audra810
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM

No, because my son is a boy. He treated my older brother fine are whole life. My parents got divorced when I was 16. I also grew up with my father being on the Sheriffs Department. The problem is that in my father's words "He just doesn't know what to do with him." But he has always treadted my son very well.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Maybe they can have a relationship. Go fishing together this father's day or out for ice cream. If they like sports, attend a sporting event.
Quoting Audra810:

No, because my son is a boy. He treated my older brother fine are whole life. My parents got divorced when I was 16. I also grew up with my father being on the Sheriffs Department. The problem is that in my father's words "He just doesn't know what to do with him." But he has always treadted my son very well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN