Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Do you maintain contact with his family?

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 3:37 PM
  • 49 Replies

I have worked really hard to mend, heal and build a healthy adult relationship with my daughter's dad's family.

His sister is on my Facebook, and we want our children to know each other. She visited me in April, and we arranged that I am taking my daughter to visit them (they all live 5 hours away) but now suddenly my daughter's dad is saying things to try to sabotage it. 

How do you deal with your ex- family? 

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jun. 11, 2013 at 3:41 PM

They do not live close enough for us to ever have maintained a relationship.

I hope we can visit them sometime but not sure when.

GoldenLinds
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Actually I talk to his SIL often. His mom makes a fb comment now and then. Have no contact with him. I'm not going to say we are friends but they have contact with me, not ds.
gizmom529
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I keep contact with my dds dads fanily bc they are her family i take her to visit and they call her and i sen pictures of her to them but our reak up was his failt and they dont fault me for that which is awesome
heretolisten
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I used to until they walked when he walked.  The effort was one sided (I always initiated, did the traveling to them, etc.) so when I stopped, they disappeared.  No loss IMO.  I was doing THEM a favor.  

mamalena137
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM
2 moms liked this

I've actually been really lucky, he's an only child and his mom was pissed at him when we broke up. I still talk to her once in a while and keep her up to date on my son. It was funny, 'cause the first weekend my ex took him for the weekend, his mom called to see how I was doing. She's a single mom and knew how it was to not have your son go with his dad. Right now my ex and I are getting along, when he bugs me I remind myself, he's someone else's problem.

mhaney03
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Nope, I don't deal with them AT ALL.  His mother disowned my kids and the rest of his family can kiss my ass.  They never ask about them.

His brother's girlfriend was my son's kinder teacher, he is going into 2nd grade now.  Once my son was out of her class it was like she ceased to care.  ah well.  We are better off without.

lashay777
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 6:44 PM

They don't make effort to see her so I don't bother either.  I'm civil whe I see them, but that's it.  Since she was old enough to talk and we'd run into  her grandmother she'd tell my daughter to call her.  What toddler knows how to make a phone call? Clearly, I could have done it, but I feel it was their responsibility to make an effort.  they only call to see her on holidays or for kids' b-day parties, but I think I am going to put a stop to that this year.

Mocking.Jay
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 8:26 PM

LOL nope. After my ex's sister had her baby in April, they said a stupid thing on Facebook that I obviously saw and she said "I'm so blessed to have my daughter and daughter in law - they gave me such beautiful gifts!" and another pic said "The newest addition to the family - lucky big cousins L and A and Manitoba cousins S and B" - my son was totally left out. She has 6 grandchildren, my son is the second oldest. So I deleted and blocked everyone and have been blissfully sane since! My son doesn't have a care in the world.

vbway
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:11 PM

No contact at all. They were my only family for 12 years. But my husband became abusive and our marriage fell apart. His mother called a few times, but I must say that I was annoyed that she didn't ask how I was (I was just released from the hospital after he attacked me) or ask me how the girls were. All she wanted to know was what she needed to do to get us back together. Then his sisters emailed me and bashed me for dishonoring the family and my marriage vows. They beat me over the head with the Bible. Yet none of them bothered to inquired about my girls or ask to speak with them. When I wouldn't drop the restaining order, they all stopped talking to me. I continued to get nasty texts and emails from time to time but I just ignored them. Its been 4 years of no contact. 

The first Thanksgiving was very hard for me. I was so close with them before. We spent every Saturday at my in laws house before the split. But I came to realize that my girls didn't need people in our lives who want to control us, not love and support us. 

TishHughes
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM
3 moms liked this
Fuck those bitches
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN