Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Dilemma

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:19 AM
  • 3 Replies
My son will start speaking soon. I am focusing on teachin him to say MA-MA. Do you think I should also teach him DA-DA? Father's not around. I dont want to create concerns in him about learning the name of an absent role but I do want him to see it naturally... About teaching him to say "dada" Pros: he begins to see the father subject naturally, CON: it may arise doubts and questions earlier. Not teaching him to say "dada" Pros: there will be no early discomfort or uncomfortable questions. Cons: I don't want the subject to be taboo and unnatural. This dilemma has been on my mind for several days. What do you suggest? I don't see his father ever coming back...
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

If you always say Mommy he will say that. If he never hears Daddy he may never say it and if he does he will eventually stop saying it if Daddy is not responding to him

steviechick
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM

My daughter's first 'words' were Da-Da.  It wasnt' because my ex taught her to say that its just the only thing that she knew how to say when she was just a few months old.  The pediatrition told me that babies will make out 'D' sounds easier then 'M' sounds.  My heart was crushed until she could actually say "Mama'. 

If Daddy isn't around why force your child to say the Daddy?   If there isn't a father in the child's life why make a point of forcing someone that isn't in it's life?  You are the one in your child's life. 

Shy_Dia
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Its so much easier to say the d sounds then m. M, you need to move you're lips, d- you just move your tongue from the top of your mouth and drop it basically. Its not that kids say da da to call out for dad... Its just easier and holy shit- they can make sounds. Lol then they'll attempt different sounds with different movements of the mouth.

Keep saying mama, but don't be sad or discouraged or freak out that she's asking about dad when she says da-da.

Quoting steviechick:

My daughter's first 'words' were Da-Da.  It wasnt' because my ex taught her to say that its just the only thing that she knew how to say when she was just a few months old.  The pediatrition told me that babies will make out 'D' sounds easier then 'M' sounds.  My heart was crushed until she could actually say "Mama'. 

If Daddy isn't around why force your child to say the Daddy?   If there isn't a father in the child's life why make a point of forcing someone that isn't in it's life?  You are the one in your child's life. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)