Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need an opinion between a discussion my mom and I have on cs

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:34 AM
  • 21 Replies
So, my pregnancy is almost over which means the divorce will finally progress. I'm following my sisters footsteps and not having to go through the attorney general when it comes to cs (your still on the system I guess you can say but the money you don't get it from them. Lots of paper work involved but worth it in the end). Since I will have two kids with my spouse is supposed to be 25% of his monthly income by texas law but i can put less (we set an agreed amout). With the money he earns after taxes and all I can very well get $1,000+ in cs. But that's not what I want. Its way to much in my opinion. I'm fine with at least $750. My mom tells me I should get the full amout. That why should I let him take those extra $250 for him when he's already staying with a lot (technically more than 75% if i do the $750) of his money.

Opinions on this?
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krisnkids
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:47 AM
4 moms liked this

I agree with mom. If you don't need the extra 250, fine. Put it in a college fund for the kids. I can almost gurantee if you don't do that dad won't be doing it. If 1,000 is 25% of his money that leaves him with 3grand to live off of a month. DO NOT feel sorry for your ex, that is the worst thing you could ever do. Kids come first, ex comes last.

lizz08
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 2:16 PM
I don't feel sorry for him. That's the last thing. I just feel its to much. If its the full amount of cs I can literally live of that and even have extra at the end of the month and this would include if I decided to rent. But I guess you have a point. And she already has a college fund in place since she was like 2 months. Which I will do the same for this coming baby.

Quoting krisnkids:

I agree with mom. If you don't need the extra 250, fine. Put it in a college fund for the kids. I can almost gurantee if you don't do that dad won't be doing it. If 1,000 is 25% of his money that leaves him with 3grand to live off of a month. DO NOT feel sorry for your ex, that is the worst thing you could ever do. Kids come first, ex comes last.

brittybby2010
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't feel sorry. Your child deserves that money. If you don't need it, SAVE IT. College, Disney, a car...so many things you can get for your baby and do with your baby when they're older.

mamaofficer
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM
4 moms liked this

Kids cost more when they are older, get the extra money and just save it. The cost of living is always going up.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Ditto to other responses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
A-nony-mous
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Save it anyway. Just because you don't need it right now doesn't mean you might not need money later

Unexpected medical bills that insurance doesn't cover, tutoring, extra-curricular activities, car repairs, house repairs or as others have said...just put it away for university or somesuch. 

Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:17 PM
It's better to get it and not need it than need it and not have it. I guarantee if it comes down to it he wouldn't be so nice to you. Get all you can now. Most times it gets a lot more difficult when they get another woman in their life.
SomethingSoReal
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I would definitely take it and save it if I had no need for it just yet. There are always things coming up with kids and one day you will be glad that you did put something away.

Serenitymom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I agreed to a lower amount in child support in my case. In my position though I thought that if I went with the full amount on child support the less likely he will pay for it. But out of technicality, thats what he would have spent on the kids anyway if you guys were still together. I didn't really have any regrets on the amount just because he still wasn't paying like he should so it wouldn't have mattered, but where I'm at they have a three year review and with that review they disregarded the original agreement on child support. I think mostly because he couldn't even pay the lower amount anyway.

You should go with whatever you feel you want or need to. In the end its not the money thats going to count, but the memories that you made for your kids. I'd be lucky to get $350 a month for both of mine.

shima
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:35 AM
1 mom liked this
What all these ladies said AND don't count on him giving it to you every month. Make sure it goes through the state because at some point he might whine, cry and just not pay. Then if you try to go back to court to get he will claim he paid it to you the whole time. It's NOT worth the hassle. In Texas they can even get it straight from his paycheck and direct deposit it into your account.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)