Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Into

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:50 AM
  • 4 Replies

Hello. My name is Robin. I have two kids (Drew 20 and Tiara 9). Their dad is an alcoholic and will be going to prison soon. Got another dwi Sunday night. Currently in a psych unit for suicide watch. He already has a felont dwi, so prison is a for sure thing. 

I don't hate my ex, I hate his disease. I will never bash my ex to our kids. But I'm stressed over how to help my kids deal with their dad being in prison, mainly my daughter.

by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 5:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Do they offer programs for families that have a member who is an alcoholic and incarcerated?

shelley11709
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Find a local AL-ANON or AL Teen group and take your kids. They are programs that are for family and friends of alcoholics. They offer support and information and understanding. And I am sure plenty of them have had experience with a parent in jail because of the disease.

www.alateen.org/
That is for the AL Teen website. All the AL-ANON weBsites are location specific. So just type it in along with your city and you should find something.

Good luck to your family
steviechick
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Getting group help for your kids is an excellent idea.  You are right, your ex suffers from a disease.  Your kids need to understand it and accept what is happening to their father.  Good luck to you!

Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Counseling and Al-anon are great options.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)