Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

This world was not made for single moms and it's driving me nuts!!!

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:08 AM
  • 48 Replies

I'm 21 and I have a 2 1/2 year old son named Mason and his father has been out of the picture since I was only 2 months along with him. Long story short, I left an abusive relationship and moved back in with my folks when I was still pregnant. Fast forward almost 3 years and I'm still living with my folks.

I don't know if it's my own pride or being a single mom that's doing it to me, but it kills me to not be able to provide for Mason enough to live on our own. That's not to say I'm ungrateful to my folks, who have been there for me the whole time and are awesome grandparents to Mason, and my little brother, who is a great uncle. I'm just saying that I'm eventually gonna have to move out on my own. 

I've had to quit my last job because of not enough hours for me to feel it was worth it to drive the whole 30 minutes to work for only a few hours work. Now I'm unemployed and feel like I'm gonna have to accept a low paying job because there's nothing else out there. 

If I had it my way, I'd be a stay at home single mom, but we all know that could never happen huh? 

I have been considering looking into online colleges, but have no clue what to get into. 

I know I'm not the only single parent out there with frustrations like this, I'm just venting lol... 

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:18 AM
~ Hugs ~
TheMetal
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Get a guard card and a gun permit and go work as armed security. My nephew started out at $10.50 an hour doing unarmed security with no work experience in Southern California when he was in college but eventually got a gun permit and ended up making $15.00 an hour starting salary, but this was after 3 years of experience working unarmed. Easy job, most companies offer benefits, the whole 9 yards. If you live in SoCal, I can offer you a company that is always hiring. 

There are a lot of jobs available, but people don't take them because either they "don't know what they want" or they don't want to seek them out. You've got a son to provide for so look into certifications you can get to get entry level jobs in your area. CNA also comes to mind. A degree isn't an automatic job so keep that in mind. I'd suggest the military but you would likely have long periods of separation from your child and the grandparents would have to agree to custody. If you feel that is a valid option I can tell you what you need to do to enlist, I am ex-Army 20 years, recently retired. 

mz23
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Yea im in the same situation but taking prereqs for nursing. 1 more left yay. Im taking a cna class now so I can getba job as a cna in the meantime. The first 2 years of college you have to take general ed classes. Much cheaper to take at a CC and youll have time to figure out what you want to do.

I hate living at home in a way and do feel inadequate cause I'm a single mom and a poor one at that! But im working towards bettering myself and getting closer and closer to that goal.
mz23
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:32 AM
Oh you can also go to a tech school to be med or dental assistant. Also psychiatric techs are in demand at least in my area.
heretolisten
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Who says you can't be a SAHM single mom?  I am.  You live with your parents, no different than a roommate situation.  Seek child support first and foremost. There is no shame seeking public assistance to help cover the basics in life.  Your child will be in kindergarten before you know it and at that time you could return to the work force.  It's a short duration with the most memorable and priceless investment into your childs life during the most formative of years.  Sacrifice, yes.  But think of it this way, as he gets older and you want to explore dating, you have someone right there who he feels safe with to watch him for you to spend some time away during the evening.  Who knows, you could meet a great guy and be married by the time Mason is entering school.  You'll be okay.  :) 

rfhsure
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:04 AM

I'm in the same boat. Living at home with my 4 month old. I don't have a car so it's difficult to go back to work (I live 3 miles from the nearest bus station, and I would never wlak it with my son, we live on a highway.) Hang in there, it'll get better eventually. I know the feeling, it sucks feeling stuck, and I feel a little worthless sometimes. You just have to do the best you can and remember that eventually everything will fall into place. I know that probably doesn't help, but I know what you're feeling to say the least.

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:01 AM

What would you like to study?

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Definitely look into the college thing. But don't do the AIU or that kind, look at your community college. You can get your entire degree online and not have to pay the outrageous prices of AIU or the like.

dawncs
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I recommend going with your interests when it comes to a college major. Also do your research online on what the position pays for before you chose it for a major. Some college majors have more competition than others trust me which can result in having a tougher time finding a job at times. You can find money to attend college at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/, and it is based on your income and savings thanks to you having your son.

Dawn

Group owner of Different Learners Support Group (http://www.cafemom.com/group/118648)

colins_mom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM
I feel ya. my ds is 6 and I still live at home too. I am studying early childhood education and I love it. a lot of what I've learned has helped me with my ds too!! good luck! is there a community college near you? you might be able to talk to one of there advisors who could help you find a career feild that works for you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)