Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Attitudes and Day Care

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:02 AM
  • 9 Replies

So my two year old son just started day care a few weeks ago and since then his attitude has SUCKED.  He screams and yells all the time.  He throws things and hits sometimes.  and I discipline him but it doesnt seem to be working.  But my nerves are about shot.  Idk what else to do.  I know its probably a mixture of terrible twos and day care.  Have any of you other mommies had this problem and if so what did you do???

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:08 AM

My son was 4 when I changed his daycare. He would act out there. So after 2 months, I changed him back to the other one.

Maybe give your son some time to see if he will adjust to the new one. 

lightoftheworld
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Are you satisfied with the daycare? If you trust the staff there, I would ask them about his behavior while he is in their care, if he is doing any of these things for them also, or if there is another child in his class modeling these behaviors.

If you like the daycare, I would stick with it and work on setting firm boundaries at home and pushing through this transition. I have 3 girls and one of them has a very difficult time with life transitions, so this could be a stage for him.

If for any reason you dont like the daycare, or you have concerns about his treatment there or the teachers being too relaxed, then I would be shopping for a new daycare.
lightoftheworld
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this
P.S. be prepared to hear that he is an angel at daycare. My daughter who struggles with transitions only acts out at home/around people she is comfortable with. She would never have a problem at daycare, but then she would come home and act like the tasmanian devil! Now she is almost 6, acts perfect at school and is learning to reign in her emotions at home. Its taken us a long time to get here, you just need to be as consistant as possible and keep working through it.
easinpc
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:53 AM

It can be a big adjustment and with some kids it takes time. I hope you are able to get it worked out and that things calm back down!

justuspeanuts
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Did he show any of that behaviour before the daycare or is it completely sudden and unlike him? My daughter changed classes at hers and all of a sudden was punching, biting, calling names, throwing fits. It didn't take long to learn why she was acting that way. I pulled her out and found a better place and she's been back to her sweet self since. What is your gut telling you? My gut wasn't crazy about the other place but it seemed like a really good place so I didn't follow my gut unfortunately.

Stephd710
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah he will pick up other kids behavior at day care and see if it works for him.  LOL!  Just let him know that it does NOT fly with you.  You may find yourself using your punishment method (whatever it may be) more often until he learns to keep it in check.  

GoldenLinds
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:19 PM
When my lo started daycare I couldn't get her to listen for anything until I started using the key phrases the daycare used. I don't rememver them now but I followed certain routines they had and it helped a TON.
shellyplatz
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

You probably need to find a daycare that will go with your discipline plan. Center's tend to have a lot of rowdy kids they can't control. Home based centers have more time and less kids to keep up with. They tend to have a more strict discipline.

Also terrible 2's mixed in with seeing other kids bad behavior does not mix well. IMO terrible 3's is worse lol!

lalalucylala
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I am thinking about switching daycares for my son. I been going back and forth with this idea for 3 years. Some of the teachers made a very strong positive impact on my son while others were there for a check. My son is now telling on certain teachers and when I speak up this , I can since a change in attitude with the teacher. It's hard finding a daycare because you don't know what's going on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)