Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you do when... ?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM
  • 22 Replies

The kids are with their dad?

My kids will be with their dad for at least 2 (up to 4) weeks this summer and I need to find things to do.  I'm not currently dating, and I've moved to a new part of town where I don't know anyone.

What are some things I can do?  How do I meet new people?

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kazmira222
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Hmmm my son never sees his father so idk! Lol I don't have many friends and I'm home a lot. If its nice out ill go on walks. I also kinda live on my phone D: so that's what I do all day :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:21 AM

my son is never away that long. If he ever did I would probably sign up for a class or try to reconnect with old friends. Visit family more. 

kzoboe
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm not divorced, so I never had exactly what you will be doing, but we have moved TONS (it feels like) and I was always trying to make new friends in our new places.  Some ideas:  go to the library, either just to borrow books or to some of their programs; visit a church; walk, you may meet your neighbors now that it is nice out; look into a moms' group; check out the "tourist attractions" of your new side of town, e.g. restaurants, coffee shops, museums; get together with friends from the old side of town so you don't lose touch.

Good luck!

JocelynMoods
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:30 AM
2 moms liked this

Look on craigslist.org in your area for community events, classes, and other sometimes free things to do. I really enjoy hiking and doing outdoor things. Maybe if you like to work with your hands you could find old furniture to repaint how you like. Write a blog. WOW! What can't you do without kids! Take a road trip and sleep in a tent! Take a self defense class, a gun safety class, cooking classes. Haha I'm all excited for you, I must need a little break.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe see if there are any activities for single parents in your area?

newlife2013
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids don't go for visits and I would miss them terribly but enjoy if you can.... take a moment to do the feminine things you prob can't do, the facials, sleeping after long baths, read books and the wonderful suggestions above, just don't stay home.
Oliviasmom72
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

If you have a facebook start asking some of your friends if they want to plan a girls night out.

Or join meet up. There are various groups and activities are always being planned.

woodstock525
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

You can pick up a part time job, volunteer somewhere (library, nursing home, hospital, etc...).  Pick up a new hobby - take cake decorating or knitting classes at a local craft store.  Go to happy hour at a local pub.  Start reading at the library.  Join a gym and go work out.  Call a friend to go out to lunch/dinner with you.  Take a summer class at the local community college.  Just keep busy and find something else to focus your attention on.  If it's a growth experience for you, all the better as it will help your kids to see you engaged in something other than them.

shelley11709
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:31 PM
2 moms liked this
I would travel. Some airlines, like southwest, have last minute vacation deals that are awesome and cheap. When I was childless and single I spent all my free time and money on travel. I can't wait to have the funds to do it again. And for ds to be older so I don't have to have the added stress of traveling with a toddler lol.
Oliviasmom72
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Whatever you do...enjoy the time kidless! Travelling is a great idea kidless start asking your friends if they want to get away for a few days, that is if you have the money. Since your new to the area again look at meetup. I am a member of a few groups like a singles one and single parents and once you join a group (it is totally free) you get emails with these activities they have planned. Look at groupon or living social and go to a day spa. Spoil yourself for a day. Get a massage, a facial or a pedicure, Or all 3 lol. Plan to see a movie with friends. Have fun.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)