Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Out of State Visitation

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:46 AM
  • 14 Replies

Hi, My kids will be visiting their Dad in Virginia for 5 weeks.  This is the first time visiting for more than a week at a time since he left Vermont.  The girls pediatrician is here in Vermont and i'm wondering what others do in a similair situation? Is it possible to establish care with two pediatritians in different locations or should everything be treated as an emergency while they are away? Thanks for any advice or guidance on this one...

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krisnkids
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM
2 moms liked this

There should be no 'normal' visits necessary in a 5 weeks summer break. If the child gets hurt they go to the ER, if ear infection etc. they go to urgent care. Its the same thing as if you were on vacation and your child got sick/hurt.

lightoftheworld
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:32 AM
I agree with this

Quoting krisnkids:

There should be no 'normal' visits necessary in a 5 weeks summer break. If the child gets hurt they go to the ER, if ear infection etc. they go to urgent care. Its the same thing as if you were on vacation and your child got sick/hurt.

hnye77
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

thanks, but if they get an ear infection or respitory infection ect, my copay is $25 dollars at a pediatrician and $125 at urgent care/emergent care....

krisnkids
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Not too many doctors will take you as a new patient for one visit, its not cost effective for them. And if you have a local insurance company there is no gurantee a primary care doctor will take your insurance at their dad's.

Kids are more apt to get sick in the winter than in the summer.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I agree with this.  Is there a reason beyond emergency type situation that they would need to be seen while gone?

Quoting krisnkids:

GoldenLinds
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 4:47 PM
If they come down sick in his care then he is resoinsible for the expense.
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Not always true. We have to share cost 50/50 after ins.
But I agree with other moms... out of state it would be ER or urgent care. You can't have 2 primary physicians

Quoting GoldenLinds:

If they come down sick in his care then he is resoinsible for the expense.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Routine visits should be done before she leaves. I would go the Extra route if she has issues while she's with him. I don't see the point in establishing a ped there.
kris10leighc
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:23 PM
We have walk in clinics here. If she gets sick I'm sure he can just do a walk in at his dr or a walk in clinic .. I don't see why you need to " establish something" unless she she has medical issues now.
Tashia07
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:51 PM

When the children are solely in your care does he worry about helping you with their medical expenses? Most likely not. When they are his care you should certainly care about their well being and health, however let him worry about paying for urgent care and emergency room expenses.

My five year son, will be spending the summer with his father.  His father pays court ordered child support and health insurance.  When our son is solely in my care his father does not assist with a single additional item.  During the summer he does not buy my son anything in addition to what I pack for him, unless it is an emergency. Mostly, because I pack my entire apartment up and send it with my baby, so he really doesn't need to get him anything (LOL... I don't want my baby to be away from what makes him happy and comfortable).

I have visited the daycare, summer camp, and family members where my son will be spending his time.  I also have the information for the doctor his father takes his other children to. I am aware of my son's surroundings and reach out as necessary. I have learned to just let go of what I cannot control, to keep my phone fully charge, and some money set aside to get to my baby in a moments notice. My son is 18 hours and 1648.3 miles away.  I try to talk to him every day and text his father constantly!

Quoting hnye77:

thanks, but if they get an ear infection or respitory infection ect, my copay is $25 dollars at a pediatrician and $125 at urgent care/emergent care....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)