Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Moving

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM
  • 7 Replies
My ex and I split back in Feb. I have been planning on moving out of state for quite some time and he sent me a message today and told me that, that isn't going to happen. We haven't went to court over visitation or custody or anything of the sort and we never married. He has came to see dd about 3 times and thats it. Can he actually do something to prevent me from moving?
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Robsessed98
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Not without going to court. You should tell him in writing that he will still be allowed to see the child once you're settled. When you get where you're going, file for custody as soon as you've been there long enough to be a resident (6 mos in OK) and hope he doesn't beat you to it. Good luck.
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Is dad legally dad? He cannot prevent you from moving but he could possibly force you to return the child to the current state until you are legally residents of the new state you are moving to, which is usually 6 months. If he just sent you this message today I'd be willing to guess that he has gone down to the courthouse to file for paternity/visitation/custody. Protect yourself, go to the courthouse and file for custody/child support and the authorization to move.

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this (the red part).  

Quoting krisnkids:

Is dad legally dad? He cannot prevent you from moving but he could possibly force you to return the child to the current state until you are legally residents of the new state you are moving to, which is usually 6 months. If he just sent you this message today I'd be willing to guess that he has gone down to the courthouse to file for paternity/visitation/custody. Protect yourself, go to the courthouse and file for custody/child support and the authorization to move.

Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:35 PM
It depends if he's established paternity or not.
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:39 PM
If he is on BC, he can file there and judge may make you return. And if he texted you that you can't move then I would be safe and file for custody before u move
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steviechick
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM

The courts are the best way to determine everything legally is done.  That way your ex can't come after you for anything he thinks is done illegal.  Good luck!

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I agree with this as well. I would go to court and file for custody and child support and make sure to include a part about you being able to move. 

Quoting amonkeymom:

I agree with this (the red part).  

Quoting krisnkids:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN