Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Single, unemployed new mom on section 8 waiting list needs housing assistance. help!

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM
  • 10 Replies

im unemployed collecting unemployement and expecting my first child in july. i ve been on new jersey (gloucester county) section 8 waiting list since Jan 2010. I need my own apartment, how can i find help with housign assistance for me and my newborn? Ive been on this waiting list for 3 years and the expectant estimated amount of time on this list is 36-48 months, i really need an apartment ASAP please any advice is helpful

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jun. 27, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes going into a homeless shelter can help people to get into housing but this is not going to always happen but may be worth checking into. 

The only other option is to ask family or friends for help.

Oliviasmom72
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 7:33 PM
2 moms liked this

You may have to move in with friends or family, or find another single mom to room with. There are long waiting lists for Sec 8 and sometimes the housing is not even very nice. This is not something you should depend on.

Pooge
by Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Can't social services help out? Family or friends? I feel for you..where is the dad btw...
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this
So u have been on waitlist for 3 years and got preg with your first? I know here people with kids get priority over a single person.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlebird1981
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:46 PM
3 moms liked this
I agree, homeless shelters come above anyone on a waiting list. They have social workers there to help with everything you would need to get your household started. Including all baby needs, beds, furniture, bedding, clothes, food.etc. The best place to go would be a ywca, or somewhere that takes in only women. You can check with your local department of human resources, they will have a social worker to help place you. I had to do it, there is nothing wrong with needing help. Especially for your children:)

Quoting virginiamama71:

Sometimes going into a homeless shelter can help people to get into housing but this is not going to always happen but may be worth checking into. 

The only other option is to ask family or friends for help.

Lalalonely
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:35 PM

BD left me for another women when i was 11 weeks along

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Welcome let them know you are pregnant that may bump you up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steviechick
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM

HI, and welcome to the group.  I would also ask if you can be bumped up in the list due to your circumstances.  Also, check out the local charities and churches.  They are always helping those in need.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I do not know but here's a bump for you!

Maryloe
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 4:53 PM
For housing resources you can see if there is any transitional family housing in your area. Transitional housing is not permanent but your rent will be based on your income, and while you stay there you may move out when your section 8 is approved.
Also go to your city hall and ask to the housing department, they can provide a low income housing list. Low income housing is permanent and your rent is based on your income. There may be a waiting list to get into the low income housing.
Finally, you could to a non profit that assist with families and they can give you hotel vouchers or offer resources. There is also family or friends that you may ask for assistance. If not you could see online if anyone needs a in home nanny. You could work at home and receive free room and board.
Ask and you shall receive
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)