Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What makes a single mom?

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM
  • 12 Replies

I know that a woman having a child when not married and not with the father is the typical definition of a single mom that I am used to. Or having sole legal and physical custody of the kids as well. 

However with me having 50/50 everything (including custody which sucks) does that make me a single mom? He pays *some* child support because the court ordered him to however he hasn't in a few months because he didn't have a job and now that he does have a new job he's been draging. Also if I make more than him, I'll be paying support to him which sucks in so many ways.  

But does having joint everything make me a single mom? What does that make me???? So confused.

by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:05 PM
The children may or may not see or know the other parent and may or may not have any financial support from the other parent so the one who carries everything for the children is doing it solo, making them single in parenting.
tyfry7496
by Janet on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:29 PM
2 moms liked this
A single parent is one that is NOT married. Hence the term "single" before parent.

You ARE a single parent.
krisnkids
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:27 PM

If you are not married, you are single, if you have children that makes you a mom. Put them together and you have a single mom. I sure the heck wouldn't call myself a 'divorced mom'. 

To me too much emphasis is placed on 'single' mom. I'm a mom first, it doesn't matter if I'm single, divorced or widowed.

Andrewsmom70
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:06 PM
2 moms liked this
This question comes up frequently and I just don't get it. It's just a label so what does it matter?
Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 3:56 PM
You're a single mom , he's a single dad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chirpymama87
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I understand your confusion cause there are idiotic moms out there that have to label everything! And I know some "make you" choose whatever they pin on you.

But regardless of income, if you're single... even attached, but not married, you're a single mama. Screw stereotypes and the idiots everywhere who make feel any negativity towards your motherhood.
EachNewBreath
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

technically a single mother is one who is single

when I hear single mother I think one of two things 

1) never married

2) may or may not have been married but father is MIA

My friends and I have talked about this one. I feel like it is a lil dishonest when women get help from the father that they are "single" because they are not single in raising the child

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:30 AM

yes you are if you are single and a mom makes you a single mom

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 12:27 PM
I agree

Quoting LifeCafe42:

yes you are if you are single and a mom makes you a single mom

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:23 PM

you are single, therefore you are a single mom...

i am also a single mom, always have been!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)