Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you create a support system?! *edit*

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:37 PM
  • 28 Replies

Every one talks about home important this is, and to be sure it is,.. but how do you create one when you dont have one?

I feel like a teen mom because I dont have any help! I am overwhelemed and getting a lil depressed. I need help. 

Any ideas suggestions?!

EDIT:

1)    So we have tried the church route (we are very active in the church) BUT they are all married and other than the play date times have no room for friendships outside of their marriage and their children, and their children's activities. (I think I am the only one to have a single child, they all have multiples) 

2)     I have a wonderful family who will help out. But ONLY when its absolutly neccesary and usually only babysitting my son. They are all busy with their own lives. So I need more than that

by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EachNewBreath
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM

BUMP!

EachNewBreath
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM

BUMP!

EachNewBreath
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM

BUMP!

EachNewBreath
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:01 PM

BUMP!

EachNewBreath
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:01 PM

BUMP!

EachNewBreath
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM

BUMP!

krisnkids
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Check out meetup and look for groups in your area. I joined a single parents group when I first moved here 3 1/2 years ago. The wonderful people I met have been incredible and we have been through many ups and downs, including hospitilzations of adults and kids, dealing with everything from terible twos to teenage attitudes. I have no family in the area and the friendsthat used to live here have all moved away.

Robsessed98
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this
It's usually family and/or friends, but if you have neither you could join a church group, a local mom's group or something like that. Ask your Dr's office, hospital and social services if they have info on groups.
woodstock525
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Get out and meet people...through church or other community organizations or volunteering.  We just got back from helping out someone who has absolutely no support system.  She's single and lives with a roommate an hour drive away (used to live about 20 or so minutes frome me).  Her family lives in the midwest. 

She had lined up her roommate to help out at the end of next week for a scheduled operation to remove her gall bladder.  The VA hospital called her three days ago and moved the surgury up to yesterday.  Her roommate is out of town on a military assignment and this girl had literally no one to take her to the hospital, be there when she got out of surgury, or come get her today and take her home.

She drove herself to the VA hospital.  We went out this afternoon to pick her up and one of us drove her car and I drove her home in mine.  On the way, we stopped to run into the local supermarket and grab the clear diet foods she needed for the next few days. I fed her dogs and cat and gave them water when we were there.  It took so long that I didn't get to eat lunch or dinner until almost 9 pm and just got home at 10:30.  I feel really sorry for her because of her lack of support system, but being over an hour drive away (in rush hour like traffic even on the weekend), I just can't drive back and forth like that.  I have a migraine just from the driving I did.  You are so right that poeple really need to have some kind of support system.  Without us, I don't know how she would have gotten home.  Her roommate won't even be back til the end of next week and she's not allowed to drive. 

There's an old guy who lives with them, but he isn't competent enough to do much and certainly doesn't drive.  So sad

EachNewBreath
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Lil boy who is two years old. 

I am a part of our church play group, but,.. they are all married with a ton of children and all of their children are constantly activities. So unless it is during the playdate times they are totally checked out for the most part

Quoting zebra556:

Your church or a church you might be interested in can help you and the churches usually have interest and support groups. Sometimes your local YWCA have groups, mother's groups, support groups. Don't know how old your children are, but you can meet other parents through their activities. This is just a start.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)